PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics and thrush

Ccat
01-08-13, 16:58
Hello all

Well in addition to my anxiety- i have developed an ear infection. Dr gave me some antibiotics yesterday-

ear is feeling a lot better to day- but i am starting to feel abit "thrushy" already! I remembered i did get thrush last time i took antibiotics :ohmy:

Any advice greatly appreciated!

love ccat x

Tufty
01-08-13, 17:47
Ahh poor you, ear infections can be nasty and thrush is not pleasant at all but very common when taking antibiotics. Sometimes it will settle by itself without treatment, thrush needs warmth and moisture to thrive - women cannot eradicate those conditions and as yours is antibiotics induced it is likely that you will need medication to treat it.

Canestan 10% VC cream is the most effective treatment and cheaper than Fluconazole tablets, Canestan 1% cream by itself is an ineffective treatment by itself it will treat the itch but not the cause. If you're taking a course of antibiotics it would be better to leave using the thrush treatment until the last day of the antibiotics as it can reoccur really quickly and you'll have to retreat yourself.

Try to avoid anything that will irritate that area and keep it cool, don't wear knickers if possible - long flowing skirts, avoid harsh soaps or shower gels. It has been claimed that natural yoghurt can help but the research failed to show any success with this, probiotics also failed to be effective in treating established thrush.

Hope it settles quickly x

flossie
01-08-13, 18:14
Give your GP a call and explain the problem. GP will then be able to give you the correct prescription for you. Or you could talk to the pharmacist, he/she will be able to help.
I think Canestan is best too but your GP may prefer a different treatment for you.
I remember going commando because of the same problem. Unfortunately it was a very windy day in mid-winter. I was bending over to put recycling in the box and whoosh:blush:
I wouldn't be surprised if the neighbours living behind me aren't still in counselling:D

joelhall
01-08-13, 18:26
Thrush cream and/or natural yoghurt to replenish the vaginal flora.

Ccat
01-08-13, 20:31
Ah- thanks sooo much Tufty, Flossie and Joelhall:bighug1:

Youve been so helpful and Flossie you have made me smile too- thank you all:yesyes:

Tessar
01-08-13, 21:52
I believe that taking acidophilus can also help with thrush :-)

Ccat
02-08-13, 00:58
Oh- thank you Tessar!:bighug1:

Speranza
02-08-13, 06:07
:roflmao:
Give your GP a call and explain the problem. GP will then be able to give you the correct prescription for you. Or you could talk to the pharmacist, he/she will be able to help.
I think Canestan is best too but your GP may prefer a different treatment for you.
I remember going commando because of the same problem. Unfortunately it was a very windy day in mid-winter. I was bending over to put recycling in the box and whoosh:blush:
I wouldn't be surprised if the neighbours living behind me aren't still in counselling:D

Lilharry
03-08-13, 03:52
You should always take probiotics when you are taking antibiotics. It annoys me that doctors don't tell people this. Lots of acidophilus and get some probiotic supplements - an absolute must as antibiotics can make you very sick. They give candida a chance to flourish while all the good bacteria are killed off.