PDA

View Full Version : Heart Attack anxiety.

hamesh
01-08-13, 17:45
Since Monday(hours after reading about the footballer that died of a heart attack) I've been having on and off on and chest tightness and discomfort. It is concentrated on the left side around where my heart is and can last for hours.

At first I thought i was my asthma but after a visit to my doctor on Monday he said I wasn't wheezing so he put it down to being anxiety.

3 days later and still having the symptoms has left me unconvinced, i am now thinking this is the first stage of some serious cardiac problem.

I Googled the difference between cardiac chest discomfort and anxiety chest discomfort and i don't know what to make of it as I share symptoms of both.

I don't know whether its my heart,lung or just chest muscle tension and the only way i could describe it is as if someone is pressing down on my chest.

joelhall
01-08-13, 18:20
Cardiac pain occurs in the centre of the chest, not at the left side. Also unless it's an acute cardiac disease, such as MI, you wouldn't be likely to simply be suffering vague pain in the chest.

hamesh
01-08-13, 18:25
By left side I mean directly under my left breast area.

joelhall
01-08-13, 18:42
The description of the pain sounds as if it might be muscular. By contrast, actue cardiac pain feels like an intesne 'crushing' inside the chest.

If you might a fist with your right hand, then bend right elbow to brign the fist up to the middle of your chest, and place the back of your thumb into your sternum, your fist shows you pretty much where your heart is.

nomorepanic
01-08-13, 18:45
If it only started after you read the news then I would say it was more anxiety/stress related.

KeeKee
01-08-13, 19:34
I too sometimes get a pain behind my left breast. I've had it very occasionally but this year (when I started having panic attacks etc) it has become more regular. I mentioned it to doctor and he didn't seem concerned. Needless to say, I am so I know how your feeling. The way I see it though is if it were something serious, it would not lay dormant for days or in my case years.

hamesh
01-08-13, 22:09
Well it's not a crushing chest pain, more of a restrictive tightness with an occasional slight sharpish pain.

About a year ago when my mom was doing hers, i did a cholesterol test and it came back as being 2 mmol/L and which the doctor said that was perfect.

I'm 18, not overweight and just last week was in perfect health, i know probably shouldn't be worried about a heart attack but i keep thinking if a footballer in his prime can get one then maybe...i can too.