PDA

View Full Version : New job and managed to work a full day!

PunkyFish
01-08-13, 20:46
Hi everyone :D

I joined this forum about a year or so ago after my anxiety got to a point where it began to ruin my life and I just wanted to share my story. I started getting anxiety/panic attacks with the odd phase of depression here and there when I started University a few years ago. It got to the point where my anxiety was bad but I was able to cope with it. I graduated from University last year and my anxiety got to a point where it began to ruin my life. I worried about everything and everyone and was having constant panic attacks/crying/rapid heart beat ect. I honestly thought my life would never get better. I also had the added pressure of having to find a full time job and the pressure of going to interviews was getting to me.

My parents ended up forcing me to go to the doctors and I was put on med's which helped. I then got a part time job for six months which helped a lot with my anxiety and life began to improve. A few months ago I had to leave my job due to staff cutbacks which flared up my old anxious thoughts again. I then started applying for jobs and had about six interviews in a month and got rejected for all of them which again added to my anxiety. However a week ago I went to an interview for a full time office job and was offered the job a day later. The day before I started my new job I was a wreck with nerves. I could not eat and was even considering not going in. I wasn't even sure if I could cope working a full day as I had been out of work for a few months.

The morning I was suppose to start was similar. I woke up, felt anxious, cried a little bit but I managed to force myself to get up and get ready. The journey to work was hell with anxiety and with me wanting to go back home. However I persevered and managed to get through a full day of work without having a panic attack and my anxiety lessened a lot! I know that the next few days of work may be similar with the anxiety but my advice is to take small steps at a time and try and force yourself through something. Also don't give into the anxious thoughts, just let them sit in your head. I'm not going to lie it's tough but although I was so tired when I came home, I was so proud of myself. There were so many times I wanted to go home but after managing to work a full day I can somewhat say my life is back.

Sorry for the long post and thanks to anyone who has provided me with advice on here. :)

Speranza
02-08-13, 06:15
WELL DONE!!! :bighug1:

AuntieMoosie
03-08-13, 00:29
Brilliant! Well done :yesyes:

PunkyFish
03-08-13, 13:23
Thank you!! :):)

Eyji1
05-08-13, 17:40
Good for you friend. Wish you all the best!

PunkyFish
06-08-13, 21:56
Thank you for the kind words! :D