PDA

View Full Version : worried about new furniture varnish smell, when will it go away

Nighttime pacer
01-08-13, 22:48
Hi all
I've had new furniture delivered and there's a strong varnish smell to it. I've had it a week and it's definitely better than it was but I can still smell it. I always worry about the chemicals in things and getting some life threatening disease from the chemicals in paint or varnish or clothes or toiletries. My health anxiety seems to centre around these sort of things.
I'm opening all the windows and running fans I just wonder how soon the smell will completely go and how dangerous it is.
Thanks for reading this.
Nighttime Pacer

Stormsky
01-08-13, 22:58
People have new furniture every day.. It's not going to harm you..
I used to be a French polisher, think of all the chemicals I inhaled daily... That was 30 yrs ago, I'm fine!

mikewales
02-08-13, 09:03
No varnish or finishes used on modern furniture are dangerous in the home, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they were. New furniture always has some smell to it, but it is nothing to worry about.

Nighttime pacer
04-08-13, 12:21
I guess the finishes on furniture are pretty tightly regulated these days. The trouble is I read things on google about things being made in China and the chemicals in them being dangerous. According to some sights (which all seem to be American) everything we buy is swathed in chemicals and everything in your home is dangerous. I know the smell will go eventually as no paint or varnish can smell forever. I'm determined not to let this beat me as my new sideboard looks great and I want to still get pleasure from shopping!
Thanks all
Nighttime Pacer