PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on NMP ever been diagnosed with their dreaded illness?

Jeninthesky
02-08-13, 02:27
I'm just trying to get the scope of things here. It's a scary thing to deal with.

Speranza
02-08-13, 06:02
That's a really good question. I don't know the answer but I guess statistically it is likely that some people with HA will get an illnes they are worried about eventually.

However the vast majority of posts on here seem to be about symptoms which can all be traced back to anxiety. Do you have a particular illness you worry about?

joelhall
02-08-13, 12:12
Well everyone will get ill from time to time regardless of HA. Some of the fascinating diseases I've collected over the years are:

Lyme disease
Hypocobalominaemia (B12 deficiency)
Nerve issues from the above (mild fibric sclerosis)
Ulcerative colitis
Reactive hypoglycaemia
Panic disorder
Mild polycythaemia
Norovirus
And my share of injuries from weightlifting and other sports including a torn left pec (ripped from the sternum), rotator cuff tears, trapped lumbar nerve and ulna stress fractures.

Like they say, what doesn't kill you merely delays the inevitable :roflmao:

Gee
02-08-13, 13:05
You've had lymes disease Joel, is it cured? How were you diagnosed?
I'm still waiting for my results :(

joelhall
02-08-13, 13:37
Cinical diagnosis on symptoms and signs, blood test to confirm, short course of antibiotics. No problem :)

swajj
02-08-13, 15:38
I think some people here have been diagnosed with serious illnesses but they probably weren't the ones that they most feared or imagined they had. I guess when that does happen you really get some perspective.

---------- Post added 03-08-13 at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was 02-08-13 at 23:58 ----------

Joel, I've read that you are in your last year of Med school. Was your panic disorder brougt on as a consequence of your studies? Eg exposure to so many different illnesses. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just curious. :)

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

Brought - bloody mobile.

joelhall
02-08-13, 15:46
I think some people here have been diagnosed with serious illnesses but they probably weren't the ones that they most feared or imagined they had. I guess when that does happen you really get some perspective.

---------- Post added 03-08-13 at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was 02-08-13 at 23:58 ----------

Joel, I've read that you are in your last year of Med school. Was your panic disorder brougt on as a consequence of your studies? Eg exposure to so many different illnesses. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just curious. :)

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

Brought - bloody mobile.
Ironically, studying medicine pretty much cured my health anxiety.

AuntieMoosie
02-08-13, 23:40
Well everyone will get ill from time to time regardless of HA. Some of the fascinating diseases I've collected over the years are:

Lyme disease
Hypocobalominaemia (B12 deficiency)
Nerve issues from the above (mild fibric sclerosis)
Ulcerative colitis
Reactive hypoglycaemia
Panic disorder
Mild polycythaemia
Norovirus
And my share of injuries from weightlifting and other sports including a torn left pec (ripped from the sternum), rotator cuff tears, trapped lumbar nerve and ulna stress fractures.

Like they say, what doesn't kill you merely delays the inevitable :roflmao:

This just has to be the best post that I've read in ages Joel :roflmao:

Well yes, it has kind of happened to me :wacko:

I always had a fear of anything heart related, it didn't rule my life really, but it was always lurking in the background.

Now reality has hit because I do now have heart abnormalities!! But you know what, strangely enough, I'm less frightened now than I was before I got them :wacko:

I think it has to do with the anticipation really, you imagine all kinds of real scary things, but when you have to face them in reality, they're not as bad as you had imagined :)

Having said all that..........I'm still utterly petrified of the thought of needing heart surgery at some point, which is well on the cards really..........but I really don't know if I would ever have the courage to face it.........I still feel as if I'd turn it down and just take my chances and see what happens...........but then again, maybe if I was to become that unwell, I might change my mind :)

swajj
03-08-13, 01:08
Ironically, studying medicine pretty much cured my health anxiety.

I can see how that might be the case. Perhaps exposure to "real" medical conditions would allow one to draw a distinction between what is real and what is imagined. Maybe I should have studied medicine, become a nurse or something. But then I can't stand the sight of blood so I doubt I would meet the essential criteria for any job in the medical field. lol

joelhall
03-08-13, 13:49
I'm the opposite, I love blood, trying to secure a lab placement in haematology at the hospital at the moment, but it's not looking promising :(

swajj
04-08-13, 13:45
I'm the opposite, I love blood, trying to secure a lab placement in haematology at the hospital at the moment, but it's not looking promising :(

Well good luck I hope it works out for you. :)

panicperson
04-08-13, 21:27
Good question!!!!
I have had symptoms but nothing confirmed.
Over the past 3yrs or so, I worried about skin cancer (lots of funny moles,) melanoma in my eye (as I have a large Nevus in it,) lymphoma (lots of lymph nodes that I can feel enlarged in a perm basis.) others too!!
I think because I have the symptoms I believe I have these illnesses. Doctors say otherwise!
I always hope Im wrong when I worry like this x