PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Over Disability Payment

Edward_1980
02-08-13, 12:57
I'm currently awaiting a decision on whether or not I will receive Disability Allowance. My claim last year was rejected and I had to appeal. I have submitted letters from my nurse Aeneas, my Psychiatrist Dr. Kirrane and my GP Dr. Arab. The thing is, they never have enough evidence that I am ill. The latest was a letter from Dr. Kirrane to say that I have been hospitalized on more than one occasion due to the BPD. I have done this and still nothing. I am waiting up to this day and as every day goes by and I hear nothing it causes very bad anxiety for me. My mind races. Did I submit enough evidence to support my claim? Will I be rejected again?

Another thing that bothers me is whether or not they will come around for an assessment? I have already had a lady around here asking questions about my income (I have none, my partner is supporting me) and where I have been for the last year work wise. That was the height of terror for me when she came around and it was even worse that I knew about it because I stressed over it so much I had a panic attack before she arrived.

Today I am stressing yet again and getting anxious because I once again heard nothing. No letter in the post. No phone call. Nothing.

inCOGnito
02-08-13, 17:04
Just Relax Edward. The DLA/PIP can take some time to get back to you. And don't worry about it being rejected, IT'S THE NORM! It would be interesting to see official figures but I am positive the number rejected and going to appeal would be startlingly high. In fact, not that long ago it was on the news.

The reason is, is that they are looking for specific things. More importantly they are looking for things worded in the ways they want to hear it. If you had no arms and no legs the might decline your application if you don't fill it in properly! That's why it is best to use an advice service. CAB aren't always that good because of how busy they get and the questionable skill they have in completing these applications. Sometimes going to a local benefits advice service/solicitors can be more advantageous.

bottom line is that you have very good medical support and doctors willing to support your application. "If" it were to get rejected then it would only be because of wording, so don't worry, that is only a formality. The chances are, based on the impact to your daily life (which is what they look for), that it will not be rejected.

In any case, don't worry. What will worry do for you?

flossie
02-08-13, 19:01
I contacted CAB, by writing as I couldn't get through by phone, for help with my appeal with ESA. They put me in contact with a Legal Aid advisor who is handling my appeal on my behalf.
I guess what help is available to you depends on where you live.

Edward_1980
03-08-13, 14:53
Just Relax Edward. The DLA/PIP can take some time to get back to you. And don't worry about it being rejected, IT'S THE NORM! It would be interesting to see official figures but I am positive the number rejected and going to appeal would be startlingly high. In fact, not that long ago it was on the news.

The reason is, is that they are looking for specific things. More importantly they are looking for things worded in the ways they want to hear it. If you had no arms and no legs the might decline your application if you don't fill it in properly! That's why it is best to use an advice service. CAB aren't always that good because of how busy they get and the questionable skill they have in completing these applications. Sometimes going to a local benefits advice service/solicitors can be more advantageous.

bottom line is that you have very good medical support and doctors willing to support your application. "If" it were to get rejected then it would only be because of wording, so don't worry, that is only a formality. The chances are, based on the impact to your daily life (which is what they look for), that it will not be rejected.

In any case, don't worry. What will worry do for you?

Thank you so much for explaining what happens. That is a lot off my mind. I'll try not to worry so much about being rejected. I guess I have given them everything they needed and I will now have to give them time to decide.

bernie1977
03-08-13, 15:16
As you're not in Northern Ireland does the system work differently in the republic? We get Employment Support Allowance if we are deemed unfit to work because of illness and Disablity Living Allowance is awarded for the costs of living with a disability, physical or mental.

Edward_1980
03-08-13, 15:34
Bernie,

Here we get a "Supplementary allowance" whilst waiting for Disability. I'm still waiting on that too. I had to complete a "Habitual Resident Form" this time when the lady came to see me. So, it's now a waiting game for the Disability and the Supplementary allowance too. I have BPD, Mood Disorder, Panic Disorder and GAD. I think I should be considered. Also, I have submitted letters from my Doctor, Nurse and Psychiatrist to say that my disorders effect my daily life and that I have been sectioned more than once. What more can I do or give them?

bernie1977
03-08-13, 15:42
Sounds like you've done all you possibly can to back up your claim. I see what you've been diagnosed with and the medication you take and know you are still unwell so in my opinion you should get the benefits. I hope you hear something soon to put your mind at rest x

Edward_1980
03-08-13, 15:44
Thanks very much Bernie X :hugs: