PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

simone
29-06-04, 17:27
I am new to this site and i am so overwhelmed at the comments and help this site provides. Its brilliant, wished i'd found it sooner.

Suffered with panic attacks for over 10years now and have just had to live with them which is a constant battle.
Its been hell to say the least, not just for me but for my parents too.

Thought it was just me!!

I'm hoping to find some help and advice, and of course give as much back to anyone who needs it!

We can all help each other.

Keep smiling, think positive.

Simone.x.

sarah
29-06-04, 17:29
Hiya Simone

Welcome to the site.

I know its overwhelming, all the info on the site...theres loads isnt there?

Anyway, take your time, have a good look round and feel free to ask anything you need.

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
29-06-04, 17:42
Hi Simone,

Welcome on board

You don't just have to live with them ...

What have you done so far to help yourself ?

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Do let us know any more about yourself and your circumstances that you're happy to share.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

seh1980
29-06-04, 19:28
Hi!
Welcome to the site!! I'm sure you'll find it as useful as I have.
Sarah (seh1980)

april tones
29-06-04, 22:49
hi simone, glad its really helped. It has us all too. You shouldnt suffer in silence, love april. P.s the more you know about it the better

apriltones

nomorepanic
29-06-04, 22:53
Simone

Welcome - I am already replying to your other post but welcome aboard.

I am sure you are settling in well -I have suffered for 11 year so we are close!

I hope you get all the support you need and you too can offer us some advice back

x

Nicola

simone
30-06-04, 12:12
Thanks,

I was on medication about 3 years ago (cipramil), which did help slightly in the respect that i wasnt thinking about everything i was about to do or where i was going. If those bad negative fears did enter my head it was easier to overcome them and be more positive.

I was weaned off cipramil about 18 months ago as i told my OLD GP i didnt want to have to depend on medication i wanted to overcome this myself and i was obviously in control and coping very well at that point.
I still had bad days but i was able to cope and overcome all the obstacles. Obstacles for me is going out shopping, mixing with other people, pubs, restaurants, public transport etc. I am able to drive on my own no problem. The house and my car are very much my SAFE place.
Its been like this for me for about 10 years and obviously its got worse over the years. Different scary situations that are scary to me i've forced myself to do which alot of the time i've ended up hating what i'm doing and wanting to go home. Once i'm home i burst into uncontrollable tears, its such a relief to be in my SAFE place.

The time i was weaned off of cipramil my personal life was going really well i had moved in with my boyfriend, i was enjoying and coping with work for once. 6 months later engaged making all sorts of plans and then 3 weeks ago after 18months of finally be happy and leading a some what nornal not perfect life it all stopped, through no fault of my own. I had the biggest blow i found out that my fiance had been unfaithful.
Which is therefore the reason everything and all those fears and anxiety and bad feelings have come flooding back.

I back at home with my parents, i have lots to sort out in my personal life aswell as overcoming all these fears and anxiety/panic attacks.

I wasnt offered any counselling of any kind or any help until this happened and i went to my NEW GP 3 weeks ago who straight away didnt mention anything about medication but to go for counselling, but this i think is generally to cope with whats happened in my personal life.

Theres so much more i could say about my attacks and how i feel but i have gone on for far too long already.

All i know is that i have so many emotions and feelings going on at the mo.
I'm doing my very best to keep positive.
Reading everyones experiences and advice really helps a great deal too.
Seeing the counsellor tom night.
Back to work next wednesday.

Take care all

Simone.x.

april tones
30-06-04, 15:43
hi simone, you have gone through somethinh big and painful, enough to shake you up and cause all this. At least you have recognized it and seeked help straight away, well done. I know its not nice but least you found out before you married him! There is good maen out there believe me, take care, keep your chin up, april xx

apriltones

nomorepanic
30-06-04, 19:49
Simone

Great news that the doc has offered you counselling. That should help a lot ! I did 9 months of CBT before discharging myself and it was all on the NHS so free!

Sorry to hear about the partner but these things happen for a reason I truly believe in that.

Chin up ok?
x

Nicola

simone
01-07-04, 12:27
Thanks for all your kind positive replies. It really helps believe me.

Hope everyone is ok, well the best you can be anyway.

Date went well last night, i was is pieces inside as you can imagine but held it in so it didn't show.

The main thing is that i got ready and went out and i did enjoy it, even though it was a struggle. I was lucky as yesterday was a good day, today feel positive too.
Although very apprehensive about going back out there to work on Wed!

Keep smiling, be positive.

Simone.x.

nomorepanic
01-07-04, 21:23
Simone

Great news about the date!! Where is all the juicy gossip then lol.

We will all be behind you for next week ok?

You can come here anytime and get the uplift you need to keep you going ok?

Good luck ok
xx

Nicola

simone
07-07-04, 17:32
Hi,

Not been very good last couple of days been on a low and negative thoughts are too strong to overcome .
I couldn't face work today, was in a right state this morning. Felt like it was my first day at school.
I hate these feelings and i get so angry with myself.

Why cant i just lead a normal life and cope!

I went to see a therapist today, she called this morning as she had a cancellation and it was my first visit, i wasn't going to go just wanted to curl up and stay indoors, didn't even want to wash and get ready. I went with my mum, who waited outside and explained everything to the therapist about whats just happened in my personal life and about the panic and anxiety attacks. I'm now going to get some CBT which i'm positive about and i've been booked in for the next 6 weeks a session a week.
I should have had this years ago.

I dont know when i'm going to be able to get back to work, i so want to go as staying at home wont help me either, but i'm not strong enough at the mo to face it and everyone.

I forgot to ask the therapist but does anyone know if i/we are entitled to any financial help whilst i'm not at work?
I've already been off for 3 weeks and although they are understanding i'm not entitled to sick pay as i haven't been there long enough.

I can never plan anything as i dont know how i'm going to feel from one day to the next. I'm so fed up of feeling up and down all the time.
I feel guilty if i'm having a good day as i feel i should be at work. (does that make sense?)
I know i'm on the right road to feel better, but i feel under pressure to get back to work. Dont want to lose my job as i like it.

Sorry to go on,

Hope everyone is not too bad?
Thanks so much for reading this.
Take care simone.x.

jo-jo
07-07-04, 20:24
Hi Simone

Today may not have been so good but I think you are definately on the right road - you are taking really positive steps towards overcoming your panic which is great news. Its easy to be impatient, I know that as soon as I began treatment I wanted to be better straight away but its going to take a little time.

Don't feel guilty about having a good day - for every good day you have you are a step nearer to getting back to work and getting your life back on track. Its good that you have understanding employers too.

One step at a time and you will get there - well done you for showing such determination to overcome your anxiety, thats a really important factor and I'm sure with such a good attitude you're going to do just fine.

Remember we're all here to help and that you're never alone.

Take care
Love Jo xx

lainey
08-07-04, 09:23
Hi Simone

You are certainly taking the right positive steps to overcoming all your fears. Take one day at a time and before you know it you will be having more good days than bad days, try keeping a journal and then when you read it back in a few weeks you will see how you have improved. Try not to worry about work and concentrate on getting yourself better.
We are all here for you whenever you need to chat.

Take care chuck !

Elaine xxx

charliesanangel
08-07-04, 10:19
Hi simone if you have sick notes for the last 3 weeks most of the time u can claim ssp from the benifits agency its only around £60-£65 per week but every penny helps =o)

grace
08-07-04, 14:05
hi simone,
just wanted to say hello, ive been offline for a couple of weeks so didnt get chance to welcome you before
hope today is one of your better ones

xxx grace

Meg
08-07-04, 15:18
Hi Simone,

You may not be fit enough to back to work for full days but how about half days ..

Or - whilst you are at home make yourself do some constructive things , like plan - yes plan - with yourself that you will go to the shop or meet someone easy and understanding for coffee. Small things that only you know about, but try to keep to them and keep yourself disciplined and going out daily .

Glad you're getting CBT , its great therapy and such a positive step for you.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

me
09-07-04, 13:47
hello simone welcome to this wonderful site as you can see its full of fab info and great people take care have a good weekend from mary

tommy
10-07-04, 21:30
Hi Simone,

I've just joined up and it's unreal that there is someone suffering from exactly the same as me! I have had panic attacks for 12years and I too have my safe places (my car and home). Sometimes I wonder what life would be like without having anxiety. The worst thing for me is being scared of having an attack and people staring at me saying"what's he doing?"

On the CBT side of things, it has helped me immensely these past 6 months and I'm sure, like you, have tried lots of things over the years to help. I have been on medication (citralopram) but I dont believe in it really. I have a bottle of diazepam which I take with me but more as a backup comfort thing.

I have my next CBT session on Tuesday. The plan was for me to go on the London Eye as a test before going on a plane (which I am scared about -not just the plane bit but not being able to get home easily after!)
but I bottled it. It's the first thing I haven't done but i'll talk it thru with my therapist & discuss why. I have come a long way since starting CBT and done 6 things with 6 months ago I would have said no way!

I have a 2 week holiday in a weeks time and I'm worried about wasting it. I'm pushing myself to go on a plane to Paris but I get to the Expedia website and dont hit send, I just look. I want to do it, I just think about the what if's and being away from home.

I've gone on a bit but what I wanted to say was "Hello" and You're not alone (it just took me about 500 words to say it!)

Tommy xx

Meg
10-07-04, 23:13
Tommy,

I found Alton Towers a brilliant place for self CBT as the rides were short but still restrictive .

Also the cable cars were a shorter version of the London Eye.

I threw up at least 3 times during the day from fear but ended up doing Nemesis 6 times and loving it as I had always done previously.

I went again the next week and sailed through every one of the rides and cable cars, the London Eye was several weeks on from that and then a plane ....

Its rough but doable. I did self CBT.

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch

simone
11-07-04, 00:16
Thanks Tommy,

It does help knowing your not alone and that others understand.

I know exactly what you mean its a case of we want to do all these things but that fear, panic, all the negative thoughts just get in the way.
I find it so frustrating at times.

I'm very positive about having CBT and i'm glad that its helped you.

You've done really well, dont be too hard on yourself as you will be able to hit that send button without thinking twice about it soon.

I just know at the mo i wouldn't even get as far as looking into the website, as i know i just couldn't do it.
There's loads of places i'd love to visit. Never mind maybe one day?
Well done you!!

Simone.x.

Caz Fab Pants
13-07-04, 15:32
WOW, Meg!!! You sound like one seriously brave and determined cookie to say the least. I know from experience just how much it takes out of you to do the things you fear most and the fact that you went back the following week is just unreal.

Simone - I think you'll find CBT a huge help with getting back on track. I did it about 18mths ago and was able to do loads of things I never dreamt of being able to do again. Unfortunately, like Sarah I have relapsed for various reasons but I'm picking myself up and setting myself small targets each day.

Tommy - It sounds like our fears are very similar from what I've read and we've suffered for the same amount of time. Might have to send you a PM so we can compare notes. Where abouts do you live? Its just you said you went to London and I was wondering how far you travelled to get there. Dont be too hard on yourself about the 'London Eye' thing, that would be hard for alot of people let alone people like us.

Best foot forward everyone :D

Caroline
x

Meg
13-07-04, 15:50
Caroline,

It was awful the first day but I knew 'no pain no gain' and the second time was a such a great feeling of success.

I went with my partner and another friend who let me get on with it and who chattered amongst themselves when needed and were good at distraction when needed and stood by with bags, rr and lavender oil. Garys hands were squeezed to a pulp.

I hadn't had anxiety and panic for years and years. Came suddenly following a run of bereavements and adrenal exhaustion.

I had a terrible (don't we all) few months initially , then did okish but I reckon it was only about after a good year that I really figured out how best to help myself.

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch

tommy
13-07-04, 22:01
Meg, that is so spooky! My fiancee suggested that we go to Alton Towers next week during our 2 week holiday. I'm up for that!

Being strapped in is a good test because you are not in control and it's only for a short period. There is also a cable car trip nearby called the Heights of Abraham. Last year I got to the admission desk but bottled it and I'm determined to revisit with greater success! Maybe I'll even treat myself to an ice cream after...

Caz Fab Pants (are they by the way and what colour?) - I live down in Littlehampton on the Sussex coast so London is 1hr 30 away for me. I started with what I felt managable and had a day off and took a train to Bognor 20mins away. The feeling when I walked round the town without my car parked close was great! The feeling of success when I have achieved something new is amazing. The key is to approach things is in bite size chunks. Ok so I have come to a stumbling block around the London Eye but I just have to be positive. My partner is very understanding and supportive which helps but I feel I am holding her back in terms of travelling. I am not going to push myself until I am ready tho'. If you want some help or advice just let me know. Be great to hear from you!

Tommy xx

Meg
13-07-04, 22:50
Tommy,

Try the cable cars at Alton Towers first as they're shorter than the Heights of Abraham .. not that nearby !
If you're up this way on holiday certainly nearby enough for another day of holiday though but not same day near by.

You can start on the swans at AT and work your way aound ... Actually it starts with the mono rail into the site .

Its best to do this progressively and thoroughly now than bodge it and need to do it all again later.

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch

sarah
13-07-04, 23:13
Hiya Tommy

Ohhh dont talk to me about Littlehampton. I was away with my girly mates on holiday there when I had my 1st massive panic.....lol

My friend's parents have a holiday cottage down there and everytime she tells me she is going there she says 'we are going down to LLL...llllll..LLLittle...well you know that place...lol'

Its a beautiful place though and I have been back to the 'scene of the crime' since :)

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)