PDA

View Full Version : Lymphoma worries

LE
02-08-13, 19:24
I am looking for some advice please.

I feel lymph nodes under right hand side of my chin. Two of them, and they are small and moveable. I also have a corresponding one of left side and first noticed this 3 years ago. No change.

But I've noticed for a few weeks now that the right hand side feels achy when I turn my head. I also noticed groin nodes on right side about 6 months ago. Ive had several doctors examine them and been told they are tiny. They don't stick out or anything, I need to dig for them. I also had an abscess near there which required surgery, 12 weeks ago. i found the nodes them before the abscess tho. I am also getting an archness around my right hip/upper inner and outer thigh. I had mild night sweats but these seem to have gotten less and less. I feel generally sweaty during day.

I saw a hematologist 3 weeks ago and who examined me all over. She said she did not feel any swollen nodes. She wrote a letter to my gp saying she felt no abnormal nodes. She also took a full panel of bloods and specific lymphoma markers. She wrote me a letter saying the results showed no abnormalities. I have to go back in 4 weeks to be re-examined.

But why can I feel these ones under my chin when i dig in and why the aching if there is nothing wrong?

I also don't feel my immune system is great. Getting boil like spots and it took a while to heal from abscess surgery and I got a cold and cough 6 weeks ago and it took me longer than my family to shift it.

I also had a baby 4 months ago and a difficult delivery and my gp has said this is the reason for the hip, pelvic aching, but its only on one side. Also the sweating is hormonal as I'm breastfeeding and it's anxiety related.

I am terrified there are massive nodes inside. Most days I want to stay in bed all day and just can't be bothered. I'm worried that's from ca fatigue as opposed to anxiety and depression.

Any advice is really appreciated.

joelhall
02-08-13, 19:34
The simplest answer is that the lymph nodes are supposed to be there.

LE
02-08-13, 19:48
Thank you but why the aching?

You mentioned in a post that you know what to look for in HL so can I ask if what I've said sounds worrying?

Also could the haematologist be wrong? Would bloods that she did show something?

joelhall
02-08-13, 20:26
No the haematologist would easily spot Hodgkin's lymphoma in a blood sample. In a specific blood sample they would be looking directly for them too, and they're not easy to miss, especially in Hodgkin's. I've seen these myself. As for the aching - could be any of a number of causes, anything from lying funny, to prodding the area, to simply being a bit achey walking around in the hot weather, but after giving birth it's not surprising that you have some pain... Child birth is very stressful on the tissues and joints of the pelvis!

LE
02-08-13, 20:31
Hi

Thank you. Can I ask what it is you do to know?

Also how come people say it doesn't always show in bloods??

I've been feeling like this on and off for 3 years. Prior to it all starting I had an abdominal MRI. I've also had cheat X-rays although last one was about 1.5 years ago.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just struggling to believe its bt ca when I have neck ache.

joelhall
02-08-13, 20:57
Well it sounds like nothing, or maybe a reaction to inflammation from tissue damage/injury. As for Hodgkin's lymphoma, trust me when I say that Reed-Sternberg cells stick out like a sore thumb in blood tests, and these must be present for a diagnosis of Hodgkin's lymphoma. As for the non-hodgkin's lymphomas - there are many subtypes (as there are with Hodgkin's) affecting B cells, T cells, and so on, and they all have their own lymphocytic morphologies, not to mention non-specific signs of inflammation, abnormal differential WBC counts, etc.

These are generally classed as malignant lymphoproliferative disorders, after the cells they affect. Given these are blood cancers, the blood work is a very essential part of diagnostics and investigations. Often lymph tissue biopsies are taken if there are blood signs of these diseases.

LE
02-08-13, 21:36
Thank you I really appreciate its.

See if I had it for 3 years plus would I be really sick by now and defo showing major signs?

joelhall
02-08-13, 21:37
Er, I doubt you'd even be alive to be honest.

LE
02-08-13, 21:45
Lol thank you.

That's what my gp says but I don't believer her.....lol