PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/Panic Questions

Moldysoap
04-08-13, 07:38
Hi there. I'm relatively new to this site, but I just need someone to talk to. I've been having panic attacks for maybe 4 weeks now. I notice some days after my attacks, my chest, neck, leg, and shoulder muscles completely tighten. Is numbness a symptom of extreme stress? And last but not least, I've noticed when I'm relaxed and breathing, my chest barely rises. Is this normal? Is it just my body acting normaly? I haven't NOT panicked in so long, I don't even remember how my body works....
This anxiety is going to drive me mad...

phil6
04-08-13, 08:26
Hi Moldysoap,
All the symptoms you describe sound like panic / anxiety.
Of course you might want confirmation from a doctor, but it sounds like you already know that it is panic.
The point about anxiety is that it frightens us, and the more frightened we become, the longer the symptoms last and the more intense they are.
However, the good news is, this is a natural flight or fight response to your fearful thoughts. No harm can be done, and your body is working fine. This is all a bluff, even if it is awful.
It is hard, but you need to allow yourself to panic and loosen the hold on yourself when you panic. Loosen the physical hold, and try not to add fear to the way you feel. Nothing bad is going to happen and there is no need to run away, in fact, running away does not help.
What do you do when you panic.... Do you leave the situation, run for home? If you do, and you feel better, why do you feel better..... It is usually because you change the way you think... You think, "I am safe now" and you let go of that hold on yourself.... And then you feel better.
Join the rest of us, and practice accepting and not fighting the way you feel... The more you fear it and fight and struggle, the more you prolong your recovery.
Phil