PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone relate to this?.......

simone
29-06-04, 17:41
I dread, have terror and panic at the thought of going out to a social event i.e party, wedding, meal out, pubs etc or if someone was to call on the phone and say they were on there way over:(

Its as though i want to avoid people and situations, but i really dont want to if you know what i mean?
I'd love to get ready and go out to the above without giving it a second thought. Invite all and sundry over.

But it this horrilbe fear and panic i have and i just cant go through with it.
It stops me doing so many things that i really want to do.
Can anyone help on this or relate to it?

Many thanks for your time in reading this,

Keep smiling, be positive,

Simone.x.

HB
29-06-04, 17:48
I know how you feel simone, i get really really panicky when i have to go out aswell, just force yourself to, try to get used to it??

Take care wont you?

H

sarah
29-06-04, 17:53
Hiya Simone

Yep I can totally relate to everything you have said.

Up until about a month ago when I had 2 weddings and 3 parties in the space of a month. The first wedding went fine (I took 2mg Diazepam before I went) and because that one went good, I was more connfident about trying the others (minus drugs).

Im still a bit iffy about these things but look foreward to it at the same time. I try to look at it as a challenge to be overcome on the way to being 'normal' again.

Im shy but quite a social person...used to love girly nights out etc. Any excuse to get dolled up, put my face on and have a laugh but until recently have been avoiding everthing I can, making excuses and generally getting on my husbands nerves (to put it mildly).

My advice, if you want to get back to 'normal' is to take it slow. Go to the nearest bar/pub and just tell yourself you will stay 15 minutes. If you want to stay longer thats fine but if not, youve managed your promised time.
Next time, try and go for longer etc and then broaden your distance.
Now is the ideal time (if you are having good weather), you can go to a pub and sit outside so you dont have to be IN the pub where you cant escape.

take care and I hope I have been some use :D

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
29-06-04, 17:58
Social phobia can be very restrictive.

Write down the reasons why you do and don't want to be close to people. You mentioned ' dirty ' earlier . Is that germs/contamination dirty or something else.

Then as Sarah recommends decide who and where is likely to cause you less angst and start to wean yourself into it .

Its not easy but it is overcomable . Easier if you really figure out what your issues are so you can learn to comfort yourself when you meet them .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

seh1980
30-06-04, 17:57
I hate going out to social events as well. I'm not too bad during the day-time but at night, it's a different story. I don't feel as comfortable then, probably cos the bars and pubs are heaving and it's a lot scarier. I would love to be able to do it but just don't seem to have the will-power to force myself. Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

diana
30-06-04, 23:45
Hiya Simone,

Welcome aboard mate.

I know you will find loads of help and much needed support here.

We are all a fun, but helpful bunch. :)

I think we can all relate to the issues you posted to some degree or another.

I personally have had these issues in the past. Actually until recently have been avoiding alot of gatherings and outdoor activities, unless absolutely necessary.

With the help of our own Meg, I have been doing quite a bit more than I have in over a year. Meg is quite an inspirational gal. ;)

I have`nt mastered the whole doing everything yet, but I am getting there. :)

Meg and Sarah have posted some good advice. Please use it and like they mentioned it is not "easy" but very doable in time.

I hope things start to be easier for you.

Remember small steps, one at a time will get us all where we want to be.

Take care dear.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Love, Diana xxxx

tina
01-07-04, 11:53
simone u should try and force urself to go, i stopped going out 12 years ago and now find it impossible to go past the door i wish i had have had the help there is now but i am trying with a little help i shall get there, i hope so just try and push urself a little u dont want to end up like me/

N206
01-07-04, 18:57
i relate to what youve said exactly! as if id written it myself! if i know someones ocming over i panic that i might not be able to keep ittogether whilst they are here.and going out i panic incase i have an eppy and cant control it.
your not on your own on this one...keep trying and eventually it will be easier. im trying each day and it is so hard but i know that i used to be able to do it and i will again one day

x

Your stronger than you'll ever know,you control your own world.

stimpy
02-07-04, 01:26
[Yeah!]
:)

I can relate to that 100%.
At one stage I wouldn't even answer the phone.
I would jump a mile and then run and hide behind the sofa.

I still have stages where I don't want anyone to visit and I don't want to socialize, but over all it is getting better.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

diana
02-07-04, 05:41
Hiya Tina,

I do hope things will start to get a bit easier for you soon.

I know you will find loads of help and support here. We are a very caring bunch here. :)

We will be here to support you on your road to recovery.

Hiya N206................

I really admire your drive to get past this disorder.

Keep at it, it will get easier. :)

Liz...........

You are such an inspiration and a success story to us all.

You`ve come soo far. :)

So glad that you are doing well dear. You`ve been such an asset to this forum.

Take care all.

Hoping everyone is well and anxiety/panic free. If just for the day. :)

Love,

Diana xxxxx

Caz Fab Pants
04-07-04, 13:42
Simone,

You asked 'Can anyone relate to this?' Well in a word, YES!!! What you described is exactly how I feel and as a result I avoid most social activities and live a very restricted life.:(

What I do try and do and I suggest you do the same, is to go out of the house every single day. Whether its to the local shop, a walk to the park to feed the ducks, a trip round Tesco or whatever. I HAVE to do this because I know that if I dont my world with get even smaller, also I have to take my eldest son to school which forces me to go out.

I'm not sure what you have tried to overcome this problem but I would suggest trying everything available to stop it from becoming a way of life. I have tried most things from reading books, hypnotherapy, CBT, seeing psychologist etc, and am now on medication which I find takes the edge off and keeps me sane.

If you want to PM me to chat about this please feel free.:)

Take care,
Caroline
x

amandah
04-07-04, 21:37
Hello, I am AmandaHarrison and I am 47, and Married. I can easily relate to Panic/and Axniety as well when we are going out. I hate going to parties.I used to have to go with my Late Dad and hated all the drinks parties we had to attend I was forced to attend.My Husband Hugh is Disabled and in a lot of Pain as well and this does not help at all .People never believe him at all. Regards Amanda.Harrison

Amanda. Harrison

stimpy
05-07-04, 15:11
[:I] Aww Diana made me blush !

Unless people have suffered with social phobia, they have no idea just how horrid it can be.

It can feel as if you have become a prisioner.
It really is a nasty thing to have

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

diana
14-07-04, 03:36
Hiya Simone,

I agree with Caroline totally. It is 'VITAL' that you get out everyday to do something.

If even just for a few minutes or so. Or like she said your world will become much smaller, and none of us needs that.

Please keep us updated on any progress you are making dear.

Amanda..................

Welcome aboard mate.

So pleased you have found your way here. I know you will find tons of help, suggestions and support here.

So sorry to hear about your husbands disability and his living in pain. I know how frustrating that can be as well.

I know that does not help your anxiety/panic at all either.

Hang in there dear. Things can only get better ey?

Liz...............

No need to blush dear. It is all the truth.

You`ve done 'GREAT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are right. Unless folks have suffered this disorder, they can really never know the horror one lives with.

It truly is "NASTY" indeed.

So happy that you have come so far though.

Your story and progress has been such an inspiration to us all.

Loadsa Love Your Way Sweetie. ;)

Take care all.

Hoping you all are anxiety/panic free today.

Love,

Diana xxxooo