PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on fluoxetine, could do with some advice please?

gabs10d
04-08-13, 17:15
Hi, I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for 4 days now. When do the side effects start? Also, my doctor only gave me a months supply and told me to come back after. The thing is, I'm on holiday and I'm going to run out of the tablets a few days before I come home. What will happen if I don't take them?

Fras
04-08-13, 19:00
What are you taking them for? Anecdotally I believe side effects tend to finish by 3-4 weeks for depression and 6-8 for anxiety. I'm in week 3 and still got a lot of unexplained anxiety but in an okay mood.

I noticed it on day 1, so maybe you just have a strong constitution. Jealous!

evolve
05-08-13, 03:15
What I've learned is that it's quite different person to person. The side effects may be similar, but the time frames are so individual. I am on week 5 right now (20mg for a month, doc just raised me to 40mg. I'm 5 days in on the 40).

I personally started feeling side effects *very* quickly. I remember the end of my second day, I was out at dinner with a few people and I suddenly felt so nervous and anxious, in a different way than I was used to. For a full week after that I couldn't stop sleeping, my head hurt so much it was painful to walk the dog, and I couldn't concentrate to save my life. But they all went away about a week and a half in, and I've been generally fine since. A little sleepy at times. Since starting the 40 I've had some mild headaches, but they've been totally manageable.

Anyway, that was my experience, and it will be different for everyone. When they do kick in, just know that they WILL end. They are just temporary.

And in regards to missing a few days... I would consult with your doc about that. My understanding is that your body might interpret that as quitting cold turkey and you may have some withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps he can prescribe just a few extra pills? No point interrupting your progress! Best of luck.

Speranza
05-08-13, 06:20
Hi, and :welcome:
Everyone is different. I felt as though I'd taken knock-out drops for a few days, then spent a few weeks waiting for more side effects - haven't really noticed many but I'm only 6 weeks in. I was bothered in case this meant the drug wouldn't work, but I seem to be getting gradually more calm. I've had a day or two of heightened anxiety, one when I suddenly felt very low, and I am getting a lot of hot flushes which couldbe my age, but I hadn't had any for over a year so I'm guessing it's the Prozac.

If you don't take them for a few days it isn't the end of the world but it's not advisable. I'm pretty sure somebody on here said if you went to a pharmacist and explained, they might be able to help - as you are so new to it I don't know, but it wouldn't harm to ask;they can always phone your surgery after all. I would certainly ask and see what you can do rather than mess your dose around.