PDA

View Full Version : Does alcohol make anxiety worse??

Ant123
04-08-13, 22:46
Hi i've suffered from health anxiety for about 8 months. Always thinking am going to have a heart attack or a stroke. All my tests say i'm fine.

I've been taking 20mg citoploram and also am having hynotherapy sessions, had 4 sessions up to now. ( still doing sessions) and everything seemed getting back to normal i was feeling good.

So i decided to go for a drink last night was quite drunk. And today it seems like am back to square 1, chest pain/ tightness & bad thoughts.

Just wondering other peoples thoughts
Any would be appreciated

mummyanxious
04-08-13, 22:48
I find one or two drinks relaxes me but I couldn't get drunk as the after effects would make me anxious.

KeeKee
04-08-13, 23:11
For me alcohol is a definite no-no, even before my anxiety the day after drinking was hideous for me. I felt unbelievably low. Since my anxiety started in March I haven't had so much as a sip, I'm too scared to.

Ant123
04-08-13, 23:15
Thanks for replying so quick. I understand you not wanting to drink but i am only 22 and enjoy drinking with my friends haha. I might stay off it for a while though

Speranza
05-08-13, 00:02
What does it say in the meds leaflet about mixing with alcohol?

nomorepanic
05-08-13, 00:43
If you are on anti-depressants then drinking is a no no really

KeeKee
05-08-13, 07:55
Hi Ant, I am only 24 and when I mention to people I don't drink (I don't actually not drink, I just haven't drank for a while due to low mood etc) they look at me like I'm crazy.

worried girl
05-08-13, 08:16
Hi,

Personnally I find that alcohol is nothing more than a break sometimes.
When I am drinking I feel anxiety free at the time but the morning after can be very bad anxiety wise if I overdone it.
If I keep it resonnable, no probs though.

SarahH
05-08-13, 12:51
Yep drinking makes my anxiety worse, sometimes even a sip can trigger it!!

As for drinking with Citalopram...................you can BUT you may aswell throw the meds in the bin as drinking stops the meds from working..........if you must drink then just have 2 then stop....actually watching others make fools of themselves when you are sober can be very funny!!!

Sarah

Darren1
05-08-13, 13:06
i am drinking a lot at the moment to ease my anxiety - it doesnt make me happy but takes the edge off. i find it easier to talk after a drink too.

Raidenshred
05-08-13, 16:48
Alcohol amplifies any mood you're in. Sometimes I've thought of it as "Don't care juice", because when I get really drunk I don't feel so scared. But other times, when I've drunk after being really anxious all day, the break from anxiety is much shorter, and I slip into depression real quick.

I wouldn't recommend. It's no real help. It's not even a patch.

AuntieMoosie
06-08-13, 04:44
Darren and anyone else that is using alcohol to help with their symptoms.....

PLEASE STOP NOW!!!!!

I've just posted about this subject to someone else here.

Alcohol is never, ever, ever a solution to anything not matter what it is!!

By misusing alcohol like this, all you are doing is creating yet another problem that you will eventually have to deal with.

I lost my Brother in law to alcohol :weep: he wasn't even 50 years old.
He starting using alcohol to numb his emotions when his marriage broke down.
Although we all fought long and hard, over the years to try and help him and get him to get help, we ended up having to watch him literally drinking himself to death, it was heartbreaking believe me :weep:

Please I beg you to go and see your doctor if you feel you need medication to help with your symptoms, there are many medications available now to help with these sorts of things.

Also please remember that alcohol is actually a depressant so it wont make you feel any better in the long run, people usually feel worse rather than better.

Darren1
06-08-13, 08:55
I just find that after a long day worrying, a glass of wine in the evening is my only relief. What a life I am living at the moment!

EmilyK83
06-08-13, 10:46
I find that alcohol heightens my anxiety! Everyone's different, though.

Agree that mixing alcohol and Citalopram really should be avoided though...