PDA

View Full Version : Spoke to therapist

Jennifer8907
05-08-13, 10:34
Just had my phone consultation with the therapist :) she was really nice to speak to and she feels cbt will help anyone had this? Has it helped? Also my appointment will be in the next 2 weeks I think that's really quick I've heard people wait really long x

Tessar
05-08-13, 10:49
Hi Jennifer. I have had CBT it helped me enormously. It was a number of years ago now but I still use the things I learned every day in some capacity. I had quite in-depth therapy at the same time as well. The whole experience was life-changing for me. It can be hard work but that's because you will be challenging the things that bother you most. Of course at times that can make you feel quite uncomfortable but once you begin chipping away at your fears or worries, they lessen in intensity. The skills are something you can apply in different areas of your life and as long as you keep at it, then the improvements can be very long-lasting. Its good as well that your referral is coming up quickly because it means you can get stuck in to the CBT sooner rather than later. make sure you stay in touch and let us know how you get on.

Jennifer8907
05-08-13, 11:44
Thank you for you reply I am glad to hear that cbt had a positive effect on you I am ready to tackle the situation I am in and look to the future will keep people posted on my experience xx

Spot-the-frog
05-08-13, 11:45
Good luck Jennifer - I am starting CBT on 19th August!

Jennifer8907
05-08-13, 16:14
Thank you good luck to you also :) x

Spot-the-frog
05-08-13, 16:54
Jennifer, 2 weeks to wait for CBT is amazing, I have waited 4 long months!

Jennifer8907
05-08-13, 20:40
I know I though the same thing, she said on the phone you will have your referal in a few weeks then said this will be two weeks and asked what days and times I am available xx

Stormsky
05-08-13, 20:42
I did cbt, along time ago though. Didnt do much for me.

Jennifer8907
05-08-13, 20:57
Did you hopefully it works for me mine is down to my moles I'm certain of It xx

stuartyd
05-08-13, 21:01
Please don't think that CBT is a magic wand because it's not. For the people it has worked for it has required a lot of hard work and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. There is also a lot of homework which, at times, can seem pointless.
I really hope it works better for you than it did for me

Jennifer8907
05-08-13, 21:03
I haven't been to bad the past few weeks been trying to stay positive and I have two little boys that keep me going and happy I think helping your self is the way forward coping statigies are a good way to start mine start soon after the birth of my son maybe it's the chemicals in my brain don't settle to well xx

Stormsky
05-08-13, 21:09
Just don't expect too much from it, and that way if it actually does help you, then bonus!
If you go in expecting it to be your cure, then you may be disappointed.

Tessar
05-08-13, 21:18
It is certainly true that CBT involves alot of homework and it pushes you outside your comfort zone. Understanding the philosophy behind it is very helpful, so I would expect you'd be introduced to how negative thoughts work and how they continue to spiral downwards.
Then its a case of stopping that downward spiral. you learn to spot negative or unrealistic thoughts much sooner. Depending on the problems you are experiencing, you will either be given tips on overcoming difficulties in certain situations (social anxiety, being bullied). Or it might be you are tasked with gradually facing things that scare you.
At the same time as earning to stand up for myself, I also discovered that I am on an equal footing to all others. I am not the bottom of the pile. I don't have to let other people push me around. I certainly don't have to tolerate any form of abuse. I have a much better opinion of myself and though it sometimes fluctuates, my self-esteem is way higher than it used to be. I can honestly say I had no self-esteem or self-worth pre CBT
I have things that still scare me. But the difference now is they do not stop me doing things I want to do. I do them regardless. The important thing is that what I fear isn't anywhere near as bad as I think it's going to be. The terrible things I anticipate happening (& me falling apart as a result) don't seem to happen.
You also learn that what you think of as "evidence" confirming your fears is n fact not evidence at all.
I agree about some of it seemingly being pointless but if you put in the hard work and stick at it, it really can work. For me, quite often just when i was thinking why am i bothering, i'd suddenly make a really important realisation. then i was really glad i kept at it.
I did my CBT a decade ago but I still practice what I learned. To my mind, it's something you continue to use. You don't just get better and then let the things you have learned fade away. Continuing to use them has been what has kept my head above water. I have ups and downs just like everyone else. When I am down, I read up about CBT again. That's why I like this site because reading up on here also reminds me of the benefits of continuing to challenge yourself.

Jennifer8907
05-08-13, 22:04
Thanks tesserae for your time that was nice to read about your experience my seems to be general or health anxiety the person said on the phone. I think I need to practise positive thinking and not think of the worst outcome all the time x

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

* Tessar phone corrected spelling x

Tessar
06-08-13, 12:25
Thanks tesserae for your time that was nice to read about your experience my seems to be general or health anxiety the person said on the phone. I think I need to practise positive thinking and not think of the worst outcome all the time x
--------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------
* Tessar phone corrected spelling x

Hi jennifer. i remember wondering why i was having so much trouble being positive at all. then my therapist said "you are very depressed". I was like "really????". I honestly didnt realise what had happened to me. I'd hear people laughing & wonder why I couldnt laugh with them. I do laugh with them now. When I was in my teens & twenties I remember getting medical books out at the library and imagining all sorts. There was no internet then. My mother used to say things that made me worry too but now I'm a few yeas older, I dont have those worries anymore. It would have been nice to deal with them at the time so that's why it's good that you are getting help. I'm only too pleased to help people embarking on CBT. It can be tough but is so worthwhile. x

Jennifer8907
06-08-13, 16:24
Yes I willing to give it a try sometimes I find myself not laughing when other people are and not enjoying things sometimes a lack of Interset from a very young age I used to worry terribly about everything my mum always remembers my teachers telling her that I need reassuring all the time about stuff maybe it's just the way I am but getting help to turn around the negatives to positives is what I am willing on trying to do I'm not expecting to be fine in days or months because that is unrealistic but someday in the future I will try and stay positive thanks again for you reply it's nice when people share their experience :) xx

spacebunnyx
06-08-13, 17:15
Hi, I had CBT and found it helpful. It's not a "cure" but gives you strategies for neutralising the fear of panic and dealing with the negative thoughts of HA. I had a long course last year and find that I have to keep reminding myself what I have learnt when I feel anxious.

Its worth buying a nice little lined pad to keep track of the different strategies you do.. its interesting to go back and see what you have written.

good luck! xxx

Jennifer8907
06-08-13, 19:24
Glad you had a good experience from it :)) I write things down a lot teas all through the week and stuff haha so I will deffo be doing that to remember things xx