PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to be on medication anymore...

LilyPad1991
05-08-13, 23:55
In recent weeks I've been thinking about things. I have sort of come to the conclusion that I don't want to be on Cymbalta anymore.

Although incredibly effective in treating my GAD and panic attacks, it has undoubtably muted my natural tendencies towards frequent hyperactivity and I have found my ability to feel any extremes in emotion (positive or negative) severely hindered. I want to be me again, fully me with no dampening if my natural 'character' by drugs.

I have been on Cymbalta for 18 months. I'm scared of how awful the withdrawal will be coming off this drug... Does anyone have any experiences in coming off Cymbalta?

Stormsky
06-08-13, 00:00
I stopped meds 2 yrs ago now. Best thing I did.
It wasn't easy, took me bout 6 months to feel better.
I was on amitripline for 11 yrs.
Good luck. Stay strong.

Sparkle1984
06-08-13, 14:03
I've never been on these particular meds, but here's some general advice to think about. Are you sure you've dealt with the underlying causes of your anxiety? Have you had any therapy/counselling and have you made any lifestyle changes? Before you begin reducing your dose, its important to be sure you're ready, otherwise there's a risk the symptoms may return. Don't want to scare you, but its something you need to be aware of. If you're sure, your doctor will advise how to wean off. :)

LilyPad1991
06-08-13, 15:45
The anxiety and depression was diagnosed as non-reactive, in that there was no real cause for it. I'm 21 and have always been an anxious person but up until I was 17 it was always reasonably easy to control.

I have had various different types of therapy at varying levels of intensity. All that really did was reveal to me that therapy, for me personally, is a load of rubbish. I imagine if there is a definable cause for the an individuals' mental health problem then counselling works wonders in addressing it. Personally, there was no distinguishable cause. I was just ill. Finally, seeing a psychiatrist encouraged me to accept that sometimes, there is no other cause than an imbalance of neurotransmitters.

After thinking about it, I have contacted this psychiatrist and asked for guidance. In her most recent 'write up', which was over a year ago, she stated that she felt I should be on cymbalta for the foreseeable future. I have asked for her opinion and advice on whether coming off cymbalta is something I could consider. I'm just waiting for her to get back to me!

Thank you for your help. I am prepared for the likely situation of an unpleasant withdrawal experience but hopefully contacting the psychiatrist who knows my situation and who prescribed cymbalta specifically will be beneficial in making the right decision!!!

Thanks again :)

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Just to add...

I sound really dismissive of therapy and counselling in my previous post; this is not my intention. I think these feelings stem from my frustration at being told that my anxiety was 'irrational' by numerous counsellors. I KNEW the anxiety was irrational, I just wanted help in controlling it and I found the sporadic and non-sensical emergence of anxiety to be really hard to analyse and combat using CBT methods.

I don't mean to offend anyone who has found CBT specifically to help them. I personally found breathing exercises extremely useful. Each to their own!

Thanks again :)

*willow*
06-08-13, 16:05
Hi LillyPad1991,
I wanted to write to you to wish you all the best in coming off Cymbalta.

I was on it for about 3 months when it stopped working, my dr switched me to another drug. To do this I had to had 2 days pill free and in those 2 days the withdrawal hit, so much so, that I didn't feel well enough (ironic but true) to start my new meds.
It's been 6 days since I took my last Cymbalta and have still not started the new meds, and to be honest, I don't think I will.
What started as a positive drug for me, has now started to change my mind on any AD. I'm going to try to manage my depression/anxiety myself.

I do hope I haven't scared you or worried you.

Please, if coming off is what you want, do it slowly as slowly as possible.

I wish you good luck, and minimal withdrawal symptoms.

Take care.
Lynn.

SarahH
06-08-13, 18:14
From what you have said about your personality type I would be very careful. I have, naturally a bouyant personality. By that I mean I can be bouncy, happy, gregarious one minute the full of doom and gloom the next . I was on a small amount of Citalopram for 11yrs and came off really slowly, thinking I did not need it anymore......10 months later.....BAM!...I ended up in hospital. With hindsight I wish I had stayed on the small dose for the rest of my life.

PLEASE PLEASE think about this carefully. I know we are all different and it is your right to choose whether to come off meds, but speak to your Psych first.

I hope it works out well for you what ever you decide.

Sarah