PDA

View Full Version : Lithium help

Asha1979
06-08-13, 09:48
Hi all. I've been diagnosed with treatment resistant depression. Have tried the ssri, snri, and am currently on 120mg duloxotine and mirtazapine 45mg. The mirt worked for one week then stopped and I don't think the duloxotine did anything. Next step is lithium my psych has told me. Would love to hear any success stories

ElizabethJane
06-08-13, 11:05
I have been on lithium for fourteen years mostly at 1,000mg. Lithium has enabled me to lead a near normal life and has kept me stable without going too high or too low. EJ

Asha1979
06-08-13, 14:14
Thanks for your reply I'm really hoping it works for me as I'm running out of options it's maoi or ect next

ElizabethJane
06-08-13, 19:34
If your psychiatrist decides that lithium therapy is for you then you will be sent for blood tests and possibly an ECG before you can start. You will be given a lithium book which is purple.this is to record blood test results, lithium levels, thyroid and kidney function. You will be started on a low dose at first which will be increased until a therapeutic level is reached . My blood results are usually 0.66-077. Blood tests will be weekly and then once every three months. Lithium has many side effects listed and it is important to be aware of toxicity. Toxicity and therapeutic range are near to each other but it is to keep well hydrated so that the kidneys can work properly. The is also a list of drugs that you cannot take whilst on lithium and that includes all NSAIDs like Ibuprofen.it can be dangerous to take these whilst on lithium as it can interfere with its absorption. I hope this helps EJ

Asha1979
06-08-13, 20:53
Thanks had the ECG done today and blood test so hopefully starting lithium tomorrow when results are back. Hope it helps my depression once and for all as I'm do sick of it at this stage

ElizabethJane
06-08-13, 21:30
You will need to give it time. I did not think that it was working at first. My psychiatrist has said that mirtazapine enables the lithium to work better. Lithium has good anti depressant properties but it is primarily a mood stabiliser. I hope that it works for you. EJ