PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin tomorrow maybe...?

Hogweed
06-08-13, 13:57
Just saying hello and adding myself to the pile here – I’m to talk to my GP about pregabalin tomorrow. I’ve lived with anxiety all my life (I’m 58), and have a had a very bad 4 years on in my personal life, which means I’m really a bit of a wreck now.

My stance is that I REALLY don’t want to go on medication – (a) because I’m a recovering alcoholic (6 years sober), and my instinct over the years has been to avoid drugs as the answer to any of my problems, as I tend to abuse them, and use them as a substitute to dealing with my problems; (b) because of the side effects.

However, I’m in such pain now that I nearly took a drink last week, and that would do more harm to me than any drug, so I’ve run out of options.

I can’t tolerate SSRI’s – I’ve tried almost all of them, and get very bad side-effects. I was on Dothiepin on and off for about 15 years, but the side effects got so bad I had to stop about a year ago. To be honest, no antidepressant has ever done anything good for me anyway – the Dothiepin had a mild anxiolytic effect, that’s all. I think that’s because I’m only depressed through having to battle hard with the anxiety all the time – at those little times when it subsides, I don’t feel at all depressed.

So… side effects. As with most drugs, there are pages of them – but I know most of them probably don’t affect most people.

But I AM worried about weight gain and “sexual dysfunction”. I’ve always battled with my weight, and have managed to keep it 2 stone below what it had been for many years, for 5 years now. I’d be really upset if it started going back up again.

And the sexual dysfunction… do they mean anorgasmia, like you get with Prozac, or actual impotence? If anybody knows, but doesn't want to share it publically, maybe PM me :)

purgatory
06-08-13, 14:11
Hi hogweed.

I like you have never got on well with ssri's (even though I am on Prozac now).

But I'm also on pregabalin and have been now for 20 months and I have found it to be a wonderful drug all be it for the weight gain.

But the benefits it brought I have had to over look the weight. I was put on them for nerve pain and also my anxiety, panic attacks and it has helped no end with them.

And as far as the sex side goes well it has made no differance if anything it has made it better due to me being less anxious in life.

I have thought that taking Prozac as well would have dampened my sex drive but I was wrong I have always had a high sex drive and it has not been touched one bit. As they say that pregabalin is know to decrease the sex drive but I have not seen that Tbh

SarahH
06-08-13, 14:46
Hi Hogweed,
Welcome to pregabalin.
Please look at the pregabalin threads as this may help you make your desicion.

I have controlled my weight, my sex drive came back after a couple of months,the other side effects have 99% gone and I have my life back!!!!

I too cannot takes SSRI's and I am not depressed apart from when my anxiety is uncontrollable.

Hope the other threads will help you

SARAH

hanshan
07-08-13, 13:52
Don't be afraid to give pregabalin a try.

You raise a number of issues.

First, dependence and abuse. Some people have an initial good feeling from pregabalin, but it is short-lived. If it is working well, there is no feeling, just a realisation that the anxious thoughts have stopped, so not much abuse potential.

Weight gain can be a problem. The only way I know to control it is to actively monitor what you weigh and what you eat. I've actually managed to lose around a stone while taking pregabalin.

Sexual side effects don't affect everyone. For me, it's a lower sex drive. It's all still there, just the urge is not as strong.

If you start on a low dose and experience benefits at once, you may be able to avoid major side effects.

Until something better comes along, pregabalin has been the best thing I've taken by far.

Tree Frog
18-08-13, 21:58
I'm 57 and suffered from panic attacks and severe anxiety since I was 19. Aside from the Benzos, Pregabalin is the first effective medication I've had. Been through all the SSRIs - terrible, every single one of them. Pregabalin had no side-effects whatsoever and it started to work after about one week.
The problem you might have is that they are expensive and your GP might refuse to prescribe it. Depends on your doctor. If he refuses, get yourself referred to a mental health professional - they'll prescribe it.

It takes a lot of bravery but you have to stand up to your GP when you know what you want. I've had some big fights with various doctors but I finally got the medication I wanted and my life has been transformed.