PDA

View Full Version : H Pylori test - normal result but is it??!

JaneS
06-08-13, 19:19
Hi, have just received results of an H Pylori test which was normal and no further action needed, great news I know, but I am now concerned that the results may have been affected because I had been drinking Aloe Vera juice (25ml) in a morning for a few days before the test. Does anyone know if drinking Aloe Vera juice would have an affect on the results ie. as it is an anti-inflammatory/healing agent, could it have masked the results and not given a true indication of whether I may have a stomach ulcer if you see what I mean? I know it sounds crazy but it is really bothering me. The receptionist did ask one of the doctors if it would affect the result when I handed the sample in and he said No, but I seem unable to believe them and am beating myself up about it all and panicking that I should repeat the test!! I am sure if I speak to the Doctors they will think I am crazy!! :weep:

spacebunnyx
06-08-13, 21:37
H Pylori is a bacterium so its either there or it isn't. Aloe juice will not make any difference.

xxx

JaneS
06-08-13, 22:30
Thanks Spacebunny.:)

JaneS
07-08-13, 13:32
Hi Spacebunny

Spoke to Doc this morning and she said that the only way to give a definitive answer would be to retest after not having any Aloe Vera juice for 2 weeks. Really confused now and upset as am due to go on holiday next week and wanted to put this to rest. These things plague my mind. Whilst she thought it unlikely she could not say 100% and rather than it worry me the best thing to do would be to redo the test. Not quite the answer I was looking for, hoped she would say No its not necessary. Brother in law is a GP and he says the test in very sensitive and should not need to be repeated.
Don't know what to do now!

spacebunnyx
07-08-13, 15:17
This GP is covering her own backside - she's right no test is ever 100% sensitive but personally I would trust the result.

xxx

JaneS
07-08-13, 19:41
Would you not do a retest then?:unsure:

spacebunnyx
07-08-13, 21:54
It's up to you... I probably wouldn't as its giving in to the HA. But at the same time its not a big deal if you re-do it and wouldn't do any harm.

xxx

JaneS
08-08-13, 00:07
I know it's not a big deal and I am making a big fuss about it, its just that I didn't want to go on holiday worrying about it I guess - selfish I know. I wish I didn't drive myself so mad about things and could let it go.

X