PDA

View Full Version : An experiment for you to try

skippy66
06-08-13, 21:04
Try this:

Imagine a doctor has just told you that tingling in your left foot means you have terminal cancer. Really focus on your left foot for 60 seconds....it will start tingling...is it tingling yet? If not, focus on it more...Tingling yet? Thought so.

You have just created a symptom using the power of your mind.

What does this tell you about your health anxiety? What does this tell you about symptoms in general?

The mind is a VERY powerful thing, powerful enough to cause very real symptoms - you have just proved it.

SUPERXERO
06-08-13, 21:36
Wow my left foot is tingling now

Gee
06-08-13, 22:44
Isn't it crazy!!!

*Fallen Angel*
06-08-13, 22:46
Incredible! If we know this why so we continue to torture ourselves? My foot is tingling away now!

swajj
07-08-13, 10:19
It continues because you haven't dealt with the underlying cause/causes of your anxiety. A therapist can help you do that. Never let anyone tell you that therapy is a waste of time because it isn't. Of course the onus is on the individual to overcome his or her irrational fears but many people need guidance from a mental health professional. I'm a very strong person. My psych has told me that I am also a very logical person. Still I needed someone to help me get my thoughts straight. It took a lot of work on my part too.

Liziik
07-08-13, 23:03
I went to a hypnotist once and he asked me to imagine my hand was in a bucket of ice after 60 seconds my hand was blue and numb. Was one if the weirdest experiences I have had! I should add this was in the consultation not the actual hypnosis he was trying to teach me the power of the mind :) xx

Evey1986
07-08-13, 23:08
Excellent :) makes u realise how powerful the mind is