PDA

View Full Version : I just got a prescription for Prozac 20mg

Kourtney
07-08-13, 07:56
I'm a 16 year old girl,
Today I got prescribed to take 20mg of prozac (fluoxetine).
I was initially going to take 20mg of Zoloft, but I can't swallow tablets. So my physiatrist said Prozac can come in a melt sort of form where you just put it in a glass of water and it dissolves.

My question is, would Zoloft be better? and would it make a difference that my Prozac isn't exactly a tablet?

aggiecuttler
07-08-13, 09:30
i cant imagine the form of the medication will make any difference, prozac is effective, but will take its time to work, so you have to be patient with it, but the chances are you will find a big difference in taking the prozac so good luck and blessings

Fras
08-08-13, 15:23
it can't hurt to try it. you should know that you probably will feel worse for a few weeks while it builds up to therapeutic levels, especially at your age, but just tell yourself it is the medication starting to work (if it affects you badly, weirdly enough it shows that it is actually going to work). Get to the 4 week mark and I reckon you'll be feeling better.

Remember to tell someone if you have any particularly distressing thoughts, and good luck.

purgatory
08-08-13, 15:45
Hi Kourtney

I have found Prozac to be on of the more easy going anti ds I have tried normal after a few days of some of the others I have given up as the side effects were so bad for me.
But with Prozac it is a different story it seems to suit me very well and it makes me wonder why I was never given it before.

And I echo what Fras has said give it several weeks buy if you do notice anything you are worried about tell some ASAP.

Good luck