PDA

View Full Version : Spiders

Dazza123
07-08-13, 07:57
:ohmy:

I've always had a fear, but since suffering with GAD its gotten a lot worse.

As some of you may know, September time is mating season for those big black ones you get in the house. It seems to last for about 2 months here (Cardiff), mid August to mid October.

Well, I went upto bed last night and there was something on the landing floor near the bathroom. It then proceeded to run towards me into the bedroom :scared15: I shouted to the other half to get a glass quickly, and I managed to catch it and chuck it out, but it was massive.

I am now completely on edge and have barely slept all night. Last year there were 5 in here that I know of, but since it has started so early this year I fear the worst!

Last year I went into my bedroom mid afternoon and there was the biggest one I have ever seen, on my wall, right behind the bed, and on my side of the bed, it was so big it could hardly stay on the wall, so If I didn't see it at that point it would have no doubt fallen onto my bed, and it was above my side of the bed as well which really freaked me out.

I can't cope with this and always dread this time of year. I am always able to catch them in a glass and throw them down the street, its just the shock of seeing them in the first place, and then when they run, that really makes me panic.

Anyone got any ideas on how to keep them out? Doors and windows are always closed at this time of year so I have no idea how they are getting in, but I need to stop them. The swines always seem to appear at night, and I don't need it at the moment, I have enough going on without having to worry about them running around my house :mad:

Annie0904
07-08-13, 08:16
Get a cat... My cat catches them and eats them :) They don't bother me too much but there was a big one in the bathroom the other day so I put my cat in the bathroom and he soon caught it :D

mandshere2000
07-08-13, 09:06
Hi dazza
Reading your post I could of wrote it, only I have OCD and because
of my fear of spiders I literally check everywhere at night before bed and it
takes me about a hour to do this, your braver than me because there's no way
I could catch them, well maybe the really small ones but no way the big ones:ohmy:
I have heard putting conkers in the corner of the room is supposed to work, not sure
how true this is having never tried it, so if anyone out there knows of ways to keep
them out the house, please let us know:)
Manda

Annie0904
07-08-13, 09:09
You can buy a spider deterrent spray called 'No More Spiders' If you google it you can see where to buy it. It costs about £4.50 for a bottle.

Dazza123
07-08-13, 10:11
I bought something like it before Annie, sprayed outside the windows, doors etc but didnt seem to help, also bought those plug in sonic things, still didnt work.

I have no problem catching them in a very large glass, just freaks me out to think they are in here and I dont know till I see them run across the floor. Cant imagine what id do if one actually got onto me, id pass out.

Think I might buy myself a tent and zip myself in for a couple of months, shouldnt be able to get me then.

Manda, I dont think conkers are ripe yet are they? Will have to check the trees and grab some if they are!!

jayjoe18
07-08-13, 22:06
I'm exactly the same, I'm terrified of spiders to the point where I cry, shake, basically have panic attacks over them. It's awful as you just have no control over it or them. I can't even be near one, can't catch any either but on a few occasions I've been brave and put a cup over the tiny oes but I'll only do that when I'm desperate and have no other option! I've started getting anxious at night now and especially when I'm alone in the house. I hate the things, why do they have to come indoors with all the land outside!! I've had too many spider encounters, it's a really awful phobia to have.

Hi dazza
Reading your post I could of wrote it, only I have OCD and because
of my fear of spiders I literally check everywhere at night before bed and it
takes me about a hour to do this, your braver than me because there's no way
I could catch them, well maybe the really small ones but no way the big ones:ohmy:
I have heard putting conkers in the corner of the room is supposed to work, not sure
how true this is having never tried it, so if anyone out there knows of ways to keep
them out the house, please let us know:)
Manda

I thought I was the only one who did this! I check the house (mostly my bedroom) every single night before bed and will even get back out of bed, put the light on and check again! I've lost many a nights sleep too when I've seen a spider before going to bed. Really is annoying having to be on constant alert and be fearful of them all the time!

Tessar
07-08-13, 22:10
I had to stop at line one of your original post Dazza!!!!, I just cant think about them..... I need to do something as they freak me out. I usual scream and then swear (badly) if I see a biggie. I had been going to do hypnotherapy, I had an introductory appointment with someone but then had a bereavement put paid to doing that. Maybe I need to think about it again. By the way, I check the walls every time I go into a room at home, I mean every time, especially in the evenings!!!!!! Anything remotely spider like triggers me.

Stormsky
07-08-13, 22:11
I don't kill spiders, they keep flies under control..
But when I got up the other morning , went to make the bed, and there was a huge one on my pillow! I must have slept with it..ewwwwww

Tessar
07-08-13, 22:17
Oh as i am sure you all could too...... I could write a book on the number of times one has just jumped out at me, run at me, given me a shock bla bla bla bla. Time to stop thinking about them or I will get another one of my dreams!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

I don't kill spiders, they keep flies under control..
But when I got up the other morning , went to make the bed, and there was a huge one on my pillow! I must have slept with it..ewwwwww

Arrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had one come down in a web when I was driving about 70mph. Somehow I managed to stop the car & deal with it..... Nightmare :scared15::scared15::scared15:

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Get a cat... My cat catches them and eats them :) They don't bother me too much but there was a big one in the bathroom the other day so I put my cat in the bathroom and he soon caught it :D

Well, I would say ours doesnt catch them but we haven't had her long so this remains to be seen. Hmmm she doesn't catch moths so not looking good.... Can I borrow your cat Annie? You can have ours... She does keep Rodent populations down very effectively.

jayjoe18
07-08-13, 22:27
I could write a horror story of spider encounters too, is it just me or do they seem to know when your alone and stalk people who are the most terrified!!?

There was one time when my mum was doing the washing, she had a big bed sheet in the kitchen fresh off the line and did that big shake of the sheet in the air to straighten it out for folding. Well, I was sat at the table minding my own business when the worst thing possible happened, she had thrown a giant spider at me accidently whilst shaking the sheet! It landed with a thud right on my lap!!! Needless to say I shot up and in the panic ripped off my pants and ran off crying! I can laugh about it now but at the time it was like a living nightmare!! Embarrassing to think of too, I'm just glad no one else was there to witness!!! :blush: :doh: :roflmao:

Stormsky
07-08-13, 22:32
I could write a horror story of spider encounters too, is it just me or do they seem to know when your alone and stalk people who are the most terrified!!?

There was one time when my mum was doing the washing, she had a big bed sheet in the kitchen fresh off the line and did that big shake of the sheet in the air to straighten it out for folding. Well, I was sat at the table minding my own business when the worst thing possible happened, she had thrown a giant spider at me accidently whilst shaking the sheet! It landed with a thud right on my lap!!! Needless to say I shot up and in the panic ripped off my pants and ran off crying! I can laugh about it now but at the time it was like a living nightmare!! Embarrassing to think of too, I'm just glad no one else was there to witness!!! :blush: :doh: :roflmao:

Lol... Think how scared the poor spider was!

Pipkin
07-08-13, 23:10
I've called a truce with the spider population as they're keeping the bumper crop of flies under control. The weather must be good for flies this year as they're everywhere (especially those biting midge things). I've decided to name the spiders I see in the house and let them get on with their business. Predictably, I've got Charlotte in my bedroom as I type.

Having said that, when I see a really massive one, it has to be evicted - you have to draw the line somewhere. As for finding one on my pillow - the thought makes me a bit queasy. Urgh!

Pip

Dazza123
08-08-13, 00:17
A few years ago, one of those long legged house ones, you know, literally no body but all spindly legs was on the ceiling in my computer room, they dont bother me as long as they are not too close, but this was a proper adult size one and im not too keen on those.

Well, it decided to fall off the ceiling, land on my head, and then, in slow motion proceeded to fall down my face, I smacked it off and then stepped on it, not something I usually do, but the lesson there was not to fall onto my head and slowly down my face, it was disgusting and I was freaked out for hours afterwards.

I have this evening been upstairs several times, checking my bedroom, walls, floor etc, I am constantly on guard now because there will be others, just hope I manage to get them before they get me!

graham58
08-08-13, 15:35

:ohmy: :scared10: :scared15:

It's great that you can laugh about it now though.

My sympathies go out to all arachnophobes on NMP this time of year, especially those who have posted in this thread so far (I'm borderline arachnophobic but I can cope).

meche
08-08-13, 16:39
I'm the one who has to get them out of my house. They don't bother me but they scare the hell out of my 6ft, big built other half. It's quite a sight sometimes!!! I do draw the line at sleeping in the same room with them though. I've had furniture pulled out at all hours because there's one lurking somewhere! xx

Tessar
08-08-13, 20:44
I excelled myself when I was a teenager...... Got my mum up at 1.00 a.m. to get rid of a huuuuuge one (it rustled against some paper it was so large)....:scared15: ....... :scared15: .....

Tessar
17-08-13, 21:55
It's started........ There was a BIG one on our computer table last night.
Scared the living daylights out of me and YES I did SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!:scared15: :scared15:

Annie0904
17-08-13, 22:00
There was one in my bath yesterday so I put the cat in and he ate it :D

Dazza123
17-08-13, 23:35
I could handle them in my bath (even tho I have a walk in shower) that wouldnt phase me at all, its when they are running across the floor, or on the wall that gets me, thats what I cant handle.

Tessar
31-08-13, 22:16
Yuk. We had a BIIIG one in our bath a few nights go.

Ok, now I really AM paranoid.... I just spotted one of the smiley faxes (this one :roflmao:) rolling across my screen and thought it was a spider. What a numpty!!!!!

Fishmanpa
31-08-13, 22:59
My girlfriend has a deathly fear of spiders. You would think the world is coming to it's end if she sees one. The absolute murderous scream she lets out when she sees one is enough to shatter all the glass in the house!

The other day I was sitting in the living room and she let out that blood curdling "it's a spider" scream. Of course I jump up, run into the kitchen and there, hanging off her arm is a spider web and an itsy bitsy teeny weeny spider about 2.5ft down toward the floor. The spider was no bigger than pin head!

I took it and put it outside. She was shaking and nearly in tears. My normally stable as a rock Chiquita gets reduced to a blubbering mess by spiders ~lol~

We have a cat so he typically keep the place bug free but every once in a while ~whew~

Tessar
02-09-13, 22:18
she let out that blood curdling "it's a spider" scream.

Oh that did make me chuckle. If I say to my partner, did you realise what was wrong,.... Well, as you say .... It's "that" scream!!!!