PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety panic attacks

Barrie
07-08-13, 10:45
I am finding it very difficult to deal with anxiety panic attacks that I'm suffering from, I know there is nothing seriously wrong with me because I had all the tests done at the hospital but I can't seem to get my mind of it. During the day I'm worrying about it I have mild discomfort in my chest on both sides and then at night especially last night was dreadful I found it so difficult to get my mind if it my chest started to hurt I found it difficult to breath shallow and holding my breath and frequent ruination which was very annoying but today I'm still dividing on it. It's such a vicious cycle does anyone have some tips
I am taking atenolol which doesn't really seem to be helping which is making me think it's not anxiety but it must be all the symptoms fit

ankietyjoe
07-08-13, 11:03
All very, very normal anxiety stuff.

As flippant as it might sound, the best thing to do (but also one of the most difficult!) is to just stop thinking about it.

I found vipissana meditation to be supremely helpful, and that was after dismissing it for a long time. It's a very powerful tool.

If the GP has told you nothing is wrong, it's more than likely that nothing is wrong. Now it's up to you to decide that you don't want to think about it any more.

Have you also tried CBT? What it boils down to at it's simplest form is telling yourself 'so what?'

Ignore it and get on with your life.

Barrie
07-08-13, 11:32
Is having a tight throat feelng that I need to clear my throat a lot a common symptom too

Tufty
07-08-13, 11:39
Yes, lump in the throat, feeling like something's stuck in your throat, gagging feeling, tight throat - all down to our blessed anxiety.

Don't be surprised if the symptoms change from time to time too, just to keep you on your toes. Try to recognise that they are symptoms of anxiety, find out why and how they occur if you are interested and you think it will help you understand more about how anxiety works, accept the feelings and then ignore them. They'll still be there but ignoring them, float onwards with whatever you're doing whilst accepting that the symptoms are there is important. When you worry about the symptoms, the anxiety can escalate, accept them as a symptom of anxiety, it's just the way you're body is reacting just now.

Barrie
07-08-13, 13:59
Thank you I understand what u mean and it's made me feel a lot better and I'm trying to not to focus on it all the time and it's helped a bit

Barrie
07-08-13, 20:34
I have harsh pain on my neck and side of my head as well as back pain in lower back and too shoulders is this all down to anxiety as I've been checked out and everything is fine

Evey1986
07-08-13, 22:48
Definitely I have that sat here right now, I am fighting cause my brain is saying ohhhhhhh that's it gonna make u start thinking something's wrong but I am reasoning with it by actually saying ermm well you did go to the gym yesterday first time in ages that's why your aching, when your anxious your muscle tighten and get tense, take some paracetamol and listen to some good music remember a song from your past when u was most happy etc stick that on :)

Barrie
08-08-13, 08:54
Last night was a killer I had the most aweful aching throbbing pain down my left arm sometimes going into the right it felt really weird I was petrified that something bad was gonna happen but like every time I fell asleep now this morning I'm worrying about what will happen tonight argh ������ help

ankietyjoe
08-08-13, 10:13
Possibly the same thing, but you woke up this morning just as normal.

That's the message to keep telling yourself. All you're experiencing is sensation.

Barrie
08-08-13, 10:41
Well I woke up this morning still got anxiety pain my back hurts and aches and slight chest pain and arm shoulder neck pain the same as usual
Don't know if this makes any difference to the symptoms but I have Asperger's syndrome and ADHD and quite possibly hypochondria