PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice :)

EmzyMoo
07-08-13, 14:30
Hi,

I'm Em and I have just recently turned 21 (yay). I have only just come to terms with the fact that I need help with my severe anxiety disorder. Ever since I can remember I have been scared of social situations, (petrified) From the age of 11 I have been seeing many psychiatrists etc but I have always put it off, as I didn't want to accept that something was wrong.

I believe that a traumatic event when I was younger triggered my anxiety and I have been suffering ever since. Some times I have wanted to take my own life and I have a track record of taking overdoses. I haven't attempted any O.D's since 2010 and I don't really plan on doing so, as I am trying my hardest to control my emotions etc. In the past few months I have fully recognized that I need help desperately as I was taking drugs such as cocaine to overcome my fear. However it only makes it worse in the long run!

(Sorry about the HUGE introduction he he)

My Question

I have just started to take a number of different medications over the course of a couple of months. I have been on Citalopram quite a few times but they were no good, then I have tried Fluxotine but those made me feel horrible! The doctor has now prescribed me to PAROXOTINE and I am also taking Beta blockers.

I was wondering whether anyway had any feedback on paroxotine before I begin taking them? I have found that the beta blockers so far are great for easing palpitations etc, and I'm hoping this new medication can help me out!

Mr. Pink Whistle
07-08-13, 14:42
Beta blockers are sometimes prescribed along with antidepressants as they tend to fend off panic attacks and make you feel calmer however you ought to be on antidep meds too. The two meds you mentioned namely citalopram and fluoxetine are SSRI's so may be SSRI's are not the correct line of medication for you, however for some time now citalopram has a better, more purified form namely escitalopram which you may ask your doctor about before you leave the SSRI family. Keep in regular touch with your doc, if he does not understand, get one who does. Try not to stop your meds and always watch for the sunshine to shine through!!
Regards,
Pink Whistle.

EmzyMoo
07-08-13, 15:31
Hello,

Thanks for replying, I seem to have gotten mixed up. I have just picked up my prescription and the meds are actually called Paraxotine. Are those anit-dep at all? :)

Thanks

nomorepanic
07-08-13, 15:38
Hi and :welcome:

Here is a good forum for you to have a read in :

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=56

micwal
08-08-13, 13:01
Hi Emzy. I took 20 mg of Paroxetine for Severe Post Natal Depression. Within two weeks of starting the drug, I was able to get out of bed and start living again. It gave me my life back! I even started to do things that I previously could not! I was on 20mg Paroxetine for 8 years with NO depression. My new doctor decided to change to Fluoxetine as there can be unpleasant withdrawal sypmtoms associated with Paroxetine. For me these were minimal. I started on Fluoxetine in 2010 which has been successful in keeping me happy and normal.

Paroxetine worked wonders for me. Hope you feel better soon x

EmzyMoo
08-08-13, 13:20
Hi Emzy. I took 20 mg of Paroxetine for Severe Post Natal Depression. Within two weeks of starting the drug, I was able to get out of bed and start living again. It gave me my life back! I even started to do things that I previously could not! I was on 20mg Paroxetine for 8 years with NO depression. My new doctor decided to change to Fluoxetine as there can be unpleasant withdrawal sypmtoms associated with Paroxetine. For me these were minimal. I started on Fluoxetine in 2010 which has been successful in keeping me happy and normal.

Paroxetine worked wonders for me. Hope you feel better soon x

Hello, This is my second day of taking them and I can already feel the effects. I have read up the symptoms and pretty put off by what I have seen. Apparently they make you gain weight? I will give them a go as the Fluxotine did not work for me at all, but everyone is different :)

Thanks for getting back to me x

:yesyes:

micwal
08-08-13, 19:49
Hello, This is my second day of taking them and I can already feel the effects. I have read up the symptoms and pretty put off by what I have seen. Apparently they make you gain weight? I will give them a go as the Fluxotine did not work for me at all, but everyone is different :)

Thanks for getting back to me x

:yesyes:

Emmy,

I did gain weight. I'm not going to lie! But I would rather be "fat" and happy. I'm not really fat at a size 14 :-)

Shell x

jonathan1985
09-08-13, 14:43
hi emzymoo :) your story sounds a bit like how I used to be,especially through school I would always avoid,panto's,classroom situations where I had to stand up in front of the class to read out,even when I was at college I had to do a vocational and stand up in front of the class and read out my project...it scared me so so much! that was when I was younger,yesterday was our annual show day where the whole village goes to and I managed a whole afternoon there,i wouldn't have mangaged this when I was younger! I have health anxiety too but I would say my social anxiety has improved dramiticaly over time,i have been on citalopram 20mg which did help,also fluoxetine in the past,I tried duloxetine (Cymbalta) but that didn't agree with me but heard it works great for most people...im currently medication free and have been for 1 year,i see a councellor every week,take vitamin b complex and drink 4 cups of green tea a day (helps me relax and rids the body of nasty toxins) and exercise regularly,oh...and also ive banned myself from google which has made a Big difference :).i believe im getting better (although slowly) but definatley going in the right direction! hope some of this may be of some use to you,also maybe try the book "feel the fear and do it anyway" by susan Jeffers :)