PDA

View Full Version : Are all the tests worth it?

Munchlet
07-08-13, 14:41
So I just wanted to post this as I'm currently having CBT and obviously trying techniques to ease my HA but I just wanted to get some opinions.

In the past I've always been insistent on having tests and things to rule out disease because I never feel completely assured until I've had a definitive answer.

One of the things my CBT therapist is saying is that firstly no test is 100% accurate and even if a test for our dreaded disease comes back as negative it's only as good as the day of the result so really the peace of mind doesn't last long because there's nothing to say we won't get said disease a month or two down the line because no one can offer that guarantee.

Another example of this is a friend of my mother in law who has just been diagnosed with Breast cancer. She attends regular mammorgrams, checks herself frequently and her last mammogram last year was normal, she checked herself a few weeks ago which she said she does regularly and notice a rather large lump. Fortunately it's been removed and she is fine but she said to her consultant she was somewhat perplexed as she does regular exams and has mammograms and this lump just seemed to appear from nowhere. Her consultant said her mammorgram was clear last year but that was then and this is now.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is does it really give us any reassurance in the long run? I mean if you have symptoms and the doctor suggests blood tests, x rays or scans then I think that is different and they need to be done but from our own HA experiences I'm just wondering how many of us actually do get reassurance from clear results when we have pushed for the tests and do we just move onto something else or continue to worry about said illness anyway?

Don't get me wrong if you find that clear results enables you to put that particular fear to bed that I think it's a good thing but I'm just looking at it from my perspective and knowing that it doesn't actually seem to offer me reassurance for long and when it does I just find something else to worry about. :wacko:

nomorepanic
07-08-13, 15:02
From what I read on here by HA sufferers they do move from one thing to another.

So they get the all clear for the latest thing worrying them and then move on to the next thing and so the circle starts again.

You have to break the circle of going for test after test after test looking for something that most probably isn't even there.

The internet is sometimes the worst "invention" ever.

When I had panic attacks in my late 20's there was no internet access so you went to the doctor, got a diagnosis and were happy.

What people do now is search endlessly on the internet for more things it could be and then see what new tests they need to confirm this diagnosis.

It is this cycle that is not only self-destructive but just adds fuel to the HA sufferers problems and unless you break that chain you will spend upwards of 5 years worrying what could be wrong when in fact there is nothing.

Read my signature on here.

spacebunnyx
07-08-13, 15:11
Hiya,

I think you have to trust the doctor's judgement on that. The precautionary screens they do such as mammograms or cervical smears are so important and save lives (Possibly my life as I've had severely abnormal cells on my cervix in the past that were treated). These tests are improving all the time, the new smear+hpv test picked up my new lot of abnormal cells (bad luck I know!), the smear was normal but hpv test was +ve so I was called in.

Doctors don't want to test people unnecessarily as well; too many x-rays can lead to increase risk of cancer. All we can do is trust our doctor's judgement, they are generally in the profession because they care (although they might not show it!!) and if you don't like your doctor find another one who will listen to you and explain why they will or won't send you for a particular test.

Personally, I find if I push for tests I don't need (or pay privately!) it doesn't really help in the long run.

xxx

Munchlet
07-08-13, 15:14
Very good Nicola

I'm certainly trying to think this way now, I've not googled anything for a couple of weeks now which for me is virtually unheard of and I'm trying to adopt more of a rational view to illness and health issues.

As I said if a doctors says "you needs tests a b and c then so be it as they obviously think there is good reason for them but from now on I'm going to try really hard to just accept what my doctor says and move on as I think I am all be it slowly beginning to realise that in my case I'm just making the situation worse by insisting on tests etc.

I know I definately move on to new things once I'm satisfied over one illness.

In fact hubby and I were having a giggle the other night at some of the illnesses I've thought I've had over the years, he said some of them he didn't even know existed and neither would I if it wasn't for good old google!!!

nomorepanic
07-08-13, 15:34
I wonder (just as an aside) if people would ask for all these tests if they had to pay for them out of their own pocket as well?

almamatters
07-08-13, 17:25
To me tests are worth it for the initial peace of mind you get. The downside for me is the anxiety waiting for the test and then waiting for results. I try not to think about things being missed on a scan etc as I do not think I could cope with it. I have severe HA and Nicola is correct that sufferers do go from one thing to another and it seems so pointless sometimes and perhaps if there was a charge for some of the blood tests and scans then maybe that would make me think twice but I would then have to live with the doubt and uncertainty thinking I have some awful condition.

aggiecuttler
07-08-13, 17:34
test are very importants because one day things may not be clear, so its better to get treatment than have your head in the sand, and once you are being watched the worry will lessen, so yes tests are essential, in regard to cancer we could all have cells which change at any moment in our lives but only worry and get tested if there is a real concern, so if you get a lump or bump definately get it tested blessings

sarahsarah
07-08-13, 19:48
I have HA and I know for a fact that if I had tests for the illnesses I am most afraid of right now (lymphoma, ovarian cancer) and they came back clear, it wouldn't take me long to move onto another health fixation. I have no reason to believe I have either of those diseases (or myriad of others) yet that's not what my particular kind of HA seems to be about. I could get tested for every illness known to man and still worry about developing something else. I suppose my HA is based on worrying about the future rather than really about health.

In my opinion, the best cure for HA is to be positive and keep occupied. Count our blessings for the good health we do have and that our families have, and know that yes, we will have to face illness in some form one day but not today and probably not tomorrow so why are we spoiling our lives now with pointless worry? Mainly I follow my own advice but I do still have wobbles!

Xx

Munchlet
07-08-13, 20:47
Thanks for the replies, it is interesting I totally agree with what you say Aggie about lumps and bumps and getting them checked I think that is a must. I also think it is wise to have all the routine tests that the NHS offer as they are in many cases lifesavers.

I was just more interested in knowing how people feel about tests where we as the HA patient push for them. I know in the past I've had issues where my doctor has given a diagnosis and not convinced I've pushed for scans or tests which have then come back with exactly the same diagnosis the doctor gave and then satisifed I've moved onto another worry. I just think I need to trust my doctors more and accept what they are saying as in the long run all I'm doing is removing one health fear and replacing it with another.

Nicola you raise a very interesting point about paying for tests as I know that I couldn't afford to pay for them. So ultimately if it came down to it and my doctor didn't think I needed tests then I would just have to accept their judgement and trust them, which for us with HA might initially increase our anxiety but I think in the long run it would help to build the trust and probably somewhat alleviate the anxiety.

aggiecuttler
07-08-13, 21:10
If you ever think the drs are wrong get another oppinion i dont want to scare here but i had sickness with vomitting very very bad, my dr said sinus issues i went back about four times, eventually husband took me to accident and emergency, i had a brain tumour, our gps bless them can only give advice if you think they are wrong go with your instinct, so take care and be aware blessings

sarahsarah
07-08-13, 21:34
I would actively encourage everyone to attend health screenings and if they're worried about certain symptoms to get them checked out with a doctor.

However, I think pushing for tests that doctors don't recommend you have or paying for them on demand to rule out illness is a never-ending road for some HA sufferers and one best not explored at all.

We have all heard stories about docs misdiagnosing/ not diagnosing people with serious illness (and Aggie I am truly sorry it happened to you) but please remember that we never really hear all the stories where docs send people for tests and everything works out ok. These stories far, far outweigh the others but as they're quite boring (in a good way!) they never make the pages of newspapers or magazines and we don't talk about them with our friends xx

Munchlet
07-08-13, 22:16
Oh Aggie that's awful I'm really sorry to hear that, I think that is one of the main fears for anyone with HA is misdiagnosis.

How are you now?

I think it's amazing that you can manage to come onto the forum and give such positive advice.

cattia
07-08-13, 22:51
Aggie, I am sorry to hear about your experience and hope you are doing well now. I think it is worth remembering that misdiagnosis, especially of a serious illness, whilst it clearly does happen is not all that common. The chances of thinking that a serious illness has been missed AND it actually being missed in reality are even less. I tend to think that if something is serious, the symptoms will steadily and obviously get worse. I try to give myself a two week waiting period during which I do my best to distract myself, and of after that I still feel it needs attention then I willl visit the doctor. I definitely think routine screenings are important. If you have a good relationship with your doctor and they understand about your anxiety, then you can explain your symptoms and your concerns to them and discuss together what tests if any, would be appropriate. My last docror was brilliant at talking through my concerns with me but now he has retired and I find it more difficult with the new doctor.