PDA

View Full Version : what makes you anxious?

HB
29-06-04, 20:54
I juat wanted to ask a question.... what are themain things to make you ANXIOUS? with me it is my phobiaof sickness. Please let me know, take care all of you :-)

H

nomorepanic
29-06-04, 21:35
With me it is driving cos my panic attacks started in the car 11 years ago and I hate being stuck in traffic or unable to get off a road.

I am doing well at conquering it but it is still there.

The other big problem is medication - I am terrible with anything new and get very panicky about taking it. I have to double some medication I am on for high blood pressure and haven't dared do it yet - waiting for the weekend to do it. I know that I wind myself up over it but just the wait is enough to make me anxious.

Nicola

stimpy
29-06-04, 21:58
OOh how long have you got ? :D

Busy traffic. - I have real problems with roads. I can't cross them (unless someone takes me across), I dislike walking by them and I don't like going in the car very much. I can't watch cars crossing each other, or watch people cross roads.

There are still stretches of road I have been unable to face. Making it very difficult to take my children to school. (At the moment someone takes the children to and from school for me.)

My children. - I dislike being alone with them. I feel as if I am unable to cope, and unable to look after them. I find myself being very easily flustrated and stressed out.

Illness. - A constant fear there is something wrong with me. Medical documentries or programmes and cancer adverts really set me off.

I have symptoms of anxiety most of the time, even when I am at rest.
The worst being palpitations and a feeling of over antisipation.

I think I got everything....[8)]

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

kate
29-06-04, 22:11
Here goes!! Things that make me anxious.......

Violence, either the fear of it happening to me or seeing it happening to anyone else eg fights.

Being stuck in traffic queues, not being able to escape. Even having to sit at a red light makes me panic.

Confrontation of any kind.

Thinking someone doesn't like me for whatever reason.

My kids safety, having to let them go places on their own.

Spiders!

Enclosed spaces, open spaces, people, noise.

Constant anxiety every moment of my waking day.

I could go on for longer but wont!

Kate x

Caitlyn89
30-06-04, 00:01
H,

Well like you everything stems from my emetophobia. But have you noticed emetophobia can also be looked at as being a hypochondriac??? We are constantly worrying something will make us sick i guess because we are afraid of it thats what makes it a phobia. ARGG such a viscious circle.

stimpy
30-06-04, 03:02
I have to agree with some of Kate answers too.

Violence, the fear of it happening to me.
That whole confrontation thing.
Wondering why someone doesn't like me, or why someone has been mean to me in the past.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

hazel
30-06-04, 09:29
H

It may be quicker saying what doesn't make me anxious! Anyway,

At the moment mainly scared of going mad.
Dying - of some terrible illness like AIDS or dying of something quicker like a stroke or heartattack, so I'll never see my boyfriend of parents again.
Planes (v big fear), underground trains, tunnels, lifts.
Cinema and theatres also make me anxious for some reason also, not sure why.
Natural catastrophes - The world ending etc.

I'm sure there's more!!

Hazel

lilac kitten
30-06-04, 12:01
I get anxious going places in case I'm sick or faint in public.

Driving on Motorways or Major Dual Carriageways. I'm scared in case I crash especially with the children in the car. Also my fear of being sick used to mean I didn't like being a passenger on motorways in case I felt sick and needed to stop.

I too worry like anything if people dislike me or say nasty things without reason to me. I don't hurt or harm anyone, but maybe its my trusting and wanting to be liked helpful nature that somepeople don't like. My psychotherapist gave me a task this month to not worry about what others think of me. Just be me and to those who don't like that - ignore them and concentrate on the people who matter. Its hard but it makes you feel good to stop worrying for five minutes.

Ruth
x

HB
30-06-04, 12:06
wow!! i only asked this to see how similar i am to other people who suffer from panic and anxiety and it has proved my point.... even the strangest things effect other people, not just me, thanks guys! keep the posts coming....

H

N206
30-06-04, 14:29
The worst thing that makes me anxious is fear that im gona be sick or need the loo when im out.

after that there are lots of things,
Being alone.. hate being home alone, especially if my mums out.shes the only one who can get me out of a panic....
Driving-caught in traffic or at a red light is awful.its because i cant get away imtrapped in a queue of cars...
Eating somethings that might upset my tummy,i eat bland palin food all the time....
Loosing control. i need constant control of any situation else i cant do it...
Even if someone is in my house visiting my family i get anxious and panicky-just incase i get an "episode" whist theyre here,and i dont like people to see me like that...
i fear the thought of getting ill, or getting a pain and dread if i ever had to go to hospital because i could stay there,and its full of germs...

Think that pretty much covers it!!
x

Your stronger than you'll ever know,you control your own world.

Caz Fab Pants
30-06-04, 15:10
Have you noticed anything everyone??

All of the things you are ALL frightened of basically come down to ONE thing... CONTROL. We are all frightened of being out of control and the more we strive to be IN control the worse we get because it's not always possible.

For example, if your body really needs to be sick because there is something bad inside you then there's nothing you can do to stop it. Therefore you are not in control of that bodily function.

A traffic jam is something you cant control, if you happen to be stuck in it you just have to wait for it to start moving.

If a lift happens to break down when you are inside it that again is out of your control, you just have to wait for it to be fixed or for someone to rescue you.

Needing the toilet also makes you feel like you are at the mercy of some other force because if you have to go, you have to go whether you want to or not.

If you are involved in a car accident you are not in control, you are at the mercy of fate and you just have to deal with the situation even though you would rather not be there at all.

Now although all these things are linked by this common fear that we want to remain in control of every situation we find ourselves in, I dont know the answer is to over come it. How do we let go of this feeling which for alot of us grips us throughout our whole day.

I am like alot of you and my fears seem to develope and I grow new fears like a persistant weed. At the moment what started out as panic attacks developed into agoraphobia, anxiety and now seems to be verging on social phobia which has shattered my confidence and is destroying my motivation.

Caroline
x

kate
30-06-04, 15:44
Caz,

You are absolutely right about the control factor.

My psychologist also pointed this fact out to me.

Is this what makes it all so hard to overcome? We need to feel in control of our feelings and events happening in the world around us.

As control of most things is not possible, is this what is making us worry even more?

I suppose that until we realise that most things are not controlable, and accept this fact, then we will not be able to move forward and overcome our problems.

Good post, Caz.

Kate x

seh1980
30-06-04, 17:54
With me, it's going somewhere I've never been before and being alone. I always feel that I need someone I know with me.

april tones
30-06-04, 19:59
hi, things that make me anxious is feeling breathless and epedemics of viruses and bugs etc

apriltones

HB
30-06-04, 23:09
N206...
WOW!! what you are descriing is basically me!! please get in tocuh as i think we could really really help each other...

Kaz.....
I totally agree with the control issue and hadnt thought of it that way before so thanks!!

Take care everyone xxx

H

Caitlyn89
30-06-04, 23:39
HB,

Can emetophobia also be seen as hypochondriasm?

HB
30-06-04, 23:45
yes i think it can be, i always talk myself into having different things wrong with me even though i am proabbly prefectly fine!! we are strange strange pople but at least we are similar!!

H

Lilith
01-07-04, 19:09
What makes me anxious? Being in a place I can't get out of. It could be a traffic jam, or out on a boat, or in a dentist's chair, or a hairdresser's chair, or an amusement park ride...you get the idea. And it's STUPID, because what I'm afraid of is getting a panic attack while "locked" in whatever the place is. So, basically, I'm afraid of being afraid.

I also have a problem with medication since I had a very bad reaction to a drug called "Levaquin". It's the idea that once I've swallowed it, I can't do anything if there's going to be a bad reaction.

I guess it IS all just a matter of control. But, what to do about that?

gingerone
02-07-04, 00:05
hi all
i panic when i get a little pain or a wierd taste in my mouth i just want to scream my boyfriends name.

c j giff

HB
02-07-04, 11:28
a lot of you have talked about being in traffic jams and things, just based around travelling. I feel mostly the saem, i hte not being able to escape from it. Glad I asked this question now- makes me feel slightly more normal, whatever "normal" is! :-)

H

charliesanangel
02-07-04, 12:19
My fear is of people and them touching me

HB
03-07-04, 12:38
thats a phobia ive not actually heard of, do you know the scientific name for it? and what firghtens you of touching people?? is it that they mighjt be dirty? i fear this but for a different reason- in case i get sick because of it, take care

H

Caz Fab Pants
03-07-04, 23:05
Lilith - you're the same as me babe, its pants isn't it. I've not been to dentist for nearly 2years and haven't been to hairdressers for about 3yrs. [Sigh...]

Charlies Angel - that's a new one on me although I'm sure there's lots out there who feel the same. Whats the reasoning behind your fear? Is it that you just dont like the intimacy of someone touching you or is it a germ relating thing?

Cant remember who said it and cant scroll down to see because there post was on page two of this thread but basically I dont know how we come to terms with the fact that there is so much we cant control?? I'd love to be one of those people who doesn't have to think about things too much when they're asked to do stuff.

For example I look at the people on big brother and admire how they just deal with things as they happen. My imediate reaction to almost everything is to say no :(because I'm scared about what 'might' happen or 'could' happen just to be on the safe side. Saying yes seems too risky which I know is silly and means I'm missing out on so much.

Caroline
x

EMMA
04-07-04, 13:48
I can't pinpoint what causes my anxiety. I just feel anxious walking into a different room in my house sometimes. It's like I fear that something is going to happen to me if I move to a different room. It's really strange. I get anxious if I haven't got things planned out for the day. Especially on a weekend. I get anxious if I try to relax. I have to be doing something all the time. Then if I'm not physically doing something I have to come and surf the internet for hours. Sometimes wish I could switch my mind off with a remote control.

HB
04-07-04, 16:04
yeah i think i know what you mean emma

H

Lilith
04-07-04, 18:54
Caroline - Yes, it is "pants." (I'm glad I found an online British slang dictionary. Never heard that one before, lol.) I had to go to the dentist a few months ago because I had a toothache. I took a mg Xanax and my husband went with me. It was not pleasant, but it had to be done. The actual dental work was not painful, I just hated sitting there, feeling unable to breath and worried that I would panic. I would not have gotten through it without the tranquilizer first.

I have had a few occasions where anxiety just came on me for no reason, at a time when I was (or should have been) very relaxed. I have even awoken during the night with a panic attack. I think that's rather common.

[The Englishman commented to the American about the "curious" way in which he pronounced so many words, such as schedule (pronounced shedule). The American thought about it for a few moments, then replied, "Perhaps it's because we went to different shools!"]

Caz Fab Pants
04-07-04, 19:29
Nice one Lilith! ;)

When I last went to the dentist I was told I needed a small filing and so booked appointment to have it done the following week. I bottled out and never went back although I know I should. Silly thing is, when you are pregnant in the UK you are exempt from paying for dentistry and prescriptions and this continues until your child is 1yr old. I've avoided going for so long that my son is now 13mths which means I'll have to pay now! [Sigh...]

Still, I dont want my teeth to go nasty so I guess I ought to buck my ideas up and get seen.

Caroline
x

HB
05-07-04, 20:12
hey caroline, i hope you have summened up the courage to go now, having a hole in your tooth can become quite painful!

H

Caz Fab Pants
07-07-04, 15:04
HB - No still not been [:I] Although I think it's going to be one of the next things I tackle. I'm not sure if I will still be able to go to my old dentist or whether they will of struck me off??

Managed to sit through a brief check up at the clinic with my son today and that is dead opposite the dentist so I could give it a go. It wasn't easy though I must confess and I took my mum for support but I did it and didn't have full blown panic.

Caroline
x

jo-jo
07-07-04, 16:14
Wow Emma I feel the same as you - can't relax. I really struggle even watching the tv as its not actually 'doing' anything!

Being in places I can't get out of freaks me out too (wouldn't have survived my recent hol without anti-nausea and tranqs) also feeling that I'm being watched or scrutinised e.g. in a one to one situation with someone that I don't feel totally comfortable with (come to think of it, thats most people, I even feel awkward sometimes with friends).

Being out of control too - that's just horrid. I'm sure panic must have a link to control issues!

Jo xxx

HB
07-07-04, 19:03
i agree with you and emma too, Jo. When i am sat watching TV or anything like that I get thoughts racing through my head just because i feel i shouldnt be relaxing, its so silly but you cant help what you feel anxious about can you? Take care xx

H

DanseMacabre
27-06-06, 20:16
lots of every day things make me anxious.

Paying for things at the store, geas station things like that, going places by my self, meeting new people by myself, large open space (i've been told i hang out in corners too much lol) tests, im always afraid im being judged by people around me, that everyone is watching me while i do everyday things, being the center of attention, getting a job :(......im pretty sure thats it lol, although im not sure

jlou89
28-06-06, 21:13
illness and dying!

jday

scatty_cat
29-06-06, 09:50
Hi

The thing that makes me most anxious is my childrens safety. If my eldest son (he's 13) is out and I hear an ambulance I straight away panic thinking he's had an accident. If he's a minute late home or he doesn't answer his phone, I panic. I always feel so relieved when they're both at home with me.

I get panicky if someone calls round unexpected. Sometimes I don't answer the door.

I get really anxious about travelling too.

I think the point made about control is so true.

Rachel

Di
29-06-06, 19:20
Crossing wide roads, people watching me walk, meeting new people, job interviews.... forget it I don't think I could even walk in the room without feeling wobbly.

dave01
29-06-06, 21:40
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Have you noticed anything everyone?? you are so right about this control issue, but actually changing is so hard. and kate my anxieties are so similar to yours, the traffic ,the violence, noise, and a huge need for personal space.

All of the things you are ALL frightened of basically come down to ONE thing... CONTROL. We are all frightened of being out of control and the more we strive to be IN control the worse we get because it's not always possible.

For example, if your body really needs to be sick because there is something bad inside you then there's nothing you can do to stop it. Therefore you are not in control of that bodily function.

A traffic jam is something you cant control, if you happen to be stuck in it you just have to wait for it to start moving.

If a lift happens to break down when you are inside it that again is out of your control, you just have to wait for it to be fixed or for someone to rescue you.

Needing the toilet also makes you feel like you are at the mercy of some other force because if you have to go, you have to go whether you want to or not.

If you are involved in a car accident you are not in control, you are at the mercy of fate and you just have to deal with the situation even though you would rather not be there at all.

Now although all these things are linked by this common fear that we want to remain in control of every situation we find ourselves in, I dont know the answer is to over come it. How do we let go of this feeling which for alot of us grips us throughout our whole day.

I am like alot of you and my fears seem to develope and I grow new fears like a persistant weed. At the moment what started out as panic attacks developed into agoraphobia, anxiety and now seems to be verging on social phobia which has shattered my confidence and is destroying my motivation.

Caroline
x

<div align="right">Originally posted by Caz Fab Pants - 30 June 2004 : 15:10:20</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

d.jones