PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin is not working. What next?

Alex2013
07-08-13, 17:52
Hi All,

I have been on Pregabalin for almost 3 months now and I am still not feeling any real benefits in terms of my GAD and SA. I'm on 600mg and the only effect I have noticed is that I seem to be sleeping for a lot longer and a lot deeper. I am still experiencing fatigue and general tiredness throughout the day and occasional dizziness.

I am still self-medicating my anxiety with Zopiclone each day which I was hoping I would be able to reduce/stop by now.

I am going to see my Psychiatrist tomorrow and I am worried that he is not going to be able to offer any other options in terms of medication.

I have tried several SSRIs with no luck. I've tried therapy and CBT with little benefit.

Is anyone else in the same situation as me? I know Pregabalin doesn't work for everyone...

Is it worth asking about Nardil?

What about Anti-Psychotic drugs?

I have read that both of these types of drugs have fairly nasty side-effects, both short-term and long-term.

Help! I don't want to keep self-medicating with Zopiclone for the rest of my life. I want to find something that works for me. It's about time...

Thanks,

Alex

SarahH
07-08-13, 19:57
Just a thought but if you are using zopliclone the withdrawal symptoms are anxiety so you could be in a cycle of Zopliclone addiction....I was !! I now take 7.5mg at night ONLY!! i AM ON 400MGS pregabalin a day and my anxiety is 95% cured!

Mark13
07-08-13, 23:03
I didn't get on with SSRIs, and pregabalin stopped working for me after 4 months.

I feel better now (although not 100%) on duloxetine.

Maybe you should discuss SNRIs with your doc before looking at anti-psychotics?

hanshan
08-08-13, 04:30
I have to agree that you may be getting withdrawal anxiety from trying to stop the zopiclone, which the pregabalin is not stopping. You may want to discuss a tapered withdrawal with your doctor.

Apart from that, unfortunately pregabalin doesn't work for everyone. I don't have experience with Nardil, but from what I've read, its interactions with certain foods and drugs, and its side effects make it a last choice.

However, there are other anxiolytics out there, and more in development, so its likely that something better will come along (eventually). Have a look at the Wikipedia article "Anxiolytic", which gives a good survey of current and future drugs.

SarahH
08-08-13, 10:19
Hanshan that's interesting can you post a link please?

Sarah

hanshan
08-08-13, 10:57
Hi Sarah,

The link to the Wikipedia article is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiolytic

The article provides an extensive overview, and you can also follow the links to the various medications. There seem to be a number of medications emanating from Russia and other Eastern European countries. I don't know anything about these - it would be good to have someone posting who did.

I believe one of the new medications, BNC210, has been developed by an Australian company and is in late stage trials. But this still means years before it is marketed and approved.

Actually, just looking back at the Wikipedia article, it doesn't mention the 'z' drugs or SNRIs, so not as comprehensive as I thought.