PDA

View Full Version : getting married soon and its playing mind games with me

markracheal412
07-08-13, 21:28
Hi my name is Mark an I am new here hello everyone.
I have been fighting health anxiety for about 4 years now but for the last 2 years have had it under control but the last month it has hit me hard. I am getting married in september and I am sure thats whats bringing it all on but I cant seem to tell my brain that. Last Saturday I had my stag party and the week before it every day I thought I was gonna have a heart attack keeped getting lightheaded not dizzy but like I am on a boat tight chest pains in my arms chest jew went to the hopital 2 times ecg all fine. So I went on my stag party had a brilliant day but got far to drunk now every day after the stag party my symptoms are much worse been hospital 3 times in 3 days to be told there is nothing wrong why wont my brain listen? ?. As I write this I am sat outside a&e trying to stop myself going in but I am so scared I dont know what to do with myself. I know as the wedding gets near its gonna get much worse and I dont wont to ruin the day grrrrrr and then I got the next big fight the honeymoon we are going disneyland paris and I am so scared I am gonna die there its my first time abroad. Has anyone got any advice that will get me though the next month.

Stormsky
07-08-13, 22:08
Hi
You've got a lot going on, and all your fears are creating extreme anxiety..
You need to deal with it if you want to get through the next month and actually enjoy your day.
Do you take meds?

Evey1986
07-08-13, 22:28
Hi there I get married next Saturday and I can assure u that its the nervousness that is doing it, I have been dreadful since feb and now with a week and a bit to go I am starting to feel good again, I often sat there wondering what if I collapse walking down the isle etc what if I don't make the wedding etc and it's honest our minds cause we have so much going in and so much to focus on its bringing all the bad things into play, u have to distract yourself from over thinking things easier said than done I know see the wedding as something to look forward to that's what I did a time that all the people you love and care about together celebrating a mile stone in your life, the other thing I did was face my fear u told my brain maybe I am having a heart attack so what I won't know, did I remember being born no!! So aswell as that being natural so is death surely I won't remember that if it happens I hope I am helping as I know what it's like we care to much about what other people think that's what brings on the worry, chin up go home chill and listen to some relaxing music don't waste your evening being told everything is fine :)

Pipkin
07-08-13, 22:33
Hi Mark,

There's not a single person in your situation who wouldn't feel some anxiety but yours has become excessive like most of us on here. Have you spoken to your GP about it? He/she will be able to help you both in the short term to get through the next few weeks and then to address the problem in the long term.

You seem to recognise that this is anxiety related rather than a physical problem and I guess that's what the A&E staff keep telling you. That's what you need to work on.

Good luck

Pip

Daisy Sue
07-08-13, 23:40
Hi Mark and Evey.. just wanted to say, I got remarried 3 years ago, and I was as nervous as anything in the days running up to the wedding. I'd decided previously that I was going to make a speech after my husband, but began to have serious doubts as to whether I'd be able to do it. I then convinced myself I'd cry walking up the aisle, and not be able to say my vows. I hate being stared at and knew everyone would be looking at me that day.

As it turned out, my nerves disappeared on the day, I said the vows without a shake in my voice, I did the speech perfectly, and really enjoyed the day, in fact I loved every minute of it. No nerves, no panic - just lots of smiles and hugs.

You'll be fine - it's a special day, and I hope you'll find, like me, that when it actually comes around, you'll be too excited and happy to let that anxiety in at all.

princesszelda
08-08-13, 02:58
First of all, congrats on your upcoming wedding! J
2nd…I think I know how you are feeling a bit. I will tell you my story.
I have battled with HA for a long time, but it has been AWFUL since May. Several things happened in May. One is that I had a good friend be diagnosed with MS. The other is that my wonderful and amazing significant other made the decision to go to law school in Vegas (4 hours away from where I live now) and asked me to come with him and move in with him, establishing that we both see a future in our relationship, which makes me ecstatic.
Thinking of that wonderful future makes my HA worse. Why? Because I am terrified something will happen between now and then that will make that happy future impossible. Like me getting a terrible disease, like MS, and having my wonderful guy leave me. That is the main one. I have had all kinds of crazy symptoms. I have been to my GP twice, the eye doctor twice, and the dentist.
I am still struggling, but the fact that I think I know where this is stemming from (fears that I won’t be able to enjoy my future) helps. It gives me a starting point when talking about it, etc.
It sounds like you know that yours stems from your upcoming wedding. Can you perhaps nail down what about it is making you anxious?
Your fear of having something happen to you while on honeymoon resonates with me. My honey and I took a trip to Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and I almost didn’t want to go because I felt like getting excited about our future living situation wasn’t worth it because I may get horribly ill between now and then. I feel ya.
If you have any questions or need to talk, PM me anytime. J

Evey1986
08-08-13, 11:58
Hey guys woke up this morning feeling a little worse as the wedding get nearer (next sat) I am starting to worry dreadfully that I might faint, also have the butterflies in my belly :(

markracheal412
08-08-13, 12:27
Thanks every one for your replys. I had a bad night no sleep pains in chest and arm and today I am very lightheaded but I guess I just got to keep fighting on lol. I hope every one has a good day

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Evey I know just how you feel I am sure your dad will go well and that you will have a fab time. Post a pic of you and your partner on you wedding day I would love to look

Evey1986
08-08-13, 12:29
Hi mark, will do :) you lot have helped me so much and swing this last night I was so relieved as everyone says enjoy yah day etc I was like easy said than done with this dreadful feeling :)

Freaked
08-08-13, 15:30
Oh God do I know this feeling. I get icky chest pains too, and was at hospital yesterday and the day before. I've often sat outside a and e until pains subsided. Right now I'm afraid to sleep cos my heart kept feeling like it stopped whenever I closed my eyes last night.

Getting married would be a fairly common positive (hopefully) stressor that can bring anxiety symps on. Life transitions are normally pressure for people even if they're looking forward to them. But yeah it can be really hard to tell yourself there's nothing wrong.