PDA

View Full Version : My agoraphobia

hello123hi
08-08-13, 15:07
Hey there.. Ive been struggling with this for the last 2 years and 8 months,It happend on the train to work and eventually i started catching the bus then started getting off at stops early then one day i just could'nt get on it(mostly for the fear of embarassing myself of getting off after 1 stop).

i think i am different to most as i hate to be with someone when exposing myself to attacks! i much rather be on my own, i dont drive so i cant stand getting in the car when im asked although most times i do.

I have a comfort zone of just my town, i have a push bike and im generally quite fit so in the past have attempted to bike to other towns close by with success and have done that without getting to distraught.
I started doing it because of my cbt and how great it would be to see my dad and my nan again who live about 17miles away
He comes over every other month but its hard as i get anxious if he wants to drive somewhere and have food i have to know where and im not at all comfortable.
I want to be able to bike to my dads as i dont think i could get on a bus or train although i like to think once im there i probably could take the bus back home.
So far ive managed about 11miles... any tips? i hope to attempt the journey soon so if anyone is similiar please come forward and share some tips

Im prescribed sertraline 50mg everyday for anxiety
A few months ago i was prescribed Propranolol 80mg sustained relief which i have never taken as to worried about it!
was prescribes Propranolol 10mg but i still have not took it although i hope i will..

Thanks

Jamesflames
08-08-13, 19:00
It sounds like you are doing really well with it. Cycling is so handy for challenging agoraphobia. You keep control but can set goals in between public transport stops. Probably the best way to improve your range would be to find some places that will make you moderately uncomfortable but where there's something to do. Shops, libraries, etc. Somewhere you can hang about for a while. If you go a bit outside your zone, but then hang around until the anxiety fades, before heading home, you should find your range increasing. Also you will be more used to letting panic fade on its own.
I prefer to push my range alone too. A few times I've had attacks while out with my kids and I find these times are far scarier than panicking alone. On your own you can pick your own pace or turn back if it gets too much but with others this is a lot harder.
Good luck with it!

Col
12-08-13, 22:03
Hi , I agree with Jamesflames ..... Your doing really well and your thinking and attitude to keep trying is really inspirational. 11 miles is well impressive for someone whose Got agrophobia. Keep doing what your doing - little and often. Try and maintain your positive attitude to eventually make it to your dads , who's 17 miles away. But a word of warning - don't over do it. Agrophobia is a balancing act in my opinion, I think by constantly thinking about doing things for other people or not wanting to let others down can put pressure on us and that's what we set our goals on, so set goals more for yourself as opposed to the fact you feel the need to go visit your dad. You see your dad that's the main thing and hopefully he understands or sit and have a chat about how difficult it really can be for you.

Do you know what triggerd your agrophobia??? I started with panic attacks and panic induced agrophobia 2 years & 7 months ago - I never had it before. Just horrific.

Take care

cat85pink
17-08-13, 03:50
Hi

I've had agoraphobia for 11 years, I was just about house bound till 4 years ago & was only able to manage my local town,

Like you, I preferred to be on my own, so friends/family wouldn't see me panic or fuss, although they all know my problems,

Since I got married 3 years ago, I now do everything with my hubby, although its not very often I do things, you see with him im still in control what we do, where we go is my choice,

He bought a car 3 months a go, wow, what a difference it has been, I can get further as I still feel like im in control, ive been 20 miles away, so was half hour each way, 11 years since id been there, amazing I cant say when I'll so it again, but one day at a time,

My therapist says learning that panic passes is very important, it doesn't last, see it as a good think to challenge yourself,

Goodluck

Cat xx