PDA

View Full Version : Lipoprotein (a)

Mrs Merewether
09-08-13, 02:31
Hello,

I went to see a naturopath about a couple of health concerns and as part of his numerous blood tests for me, he ordered a test for lipoprotein (a) levels. I went along with this test because I had never heard of lipoprotein (a), so I didn't think it was anything to worry about.

Anyway, my lp(a) came back high and he looked a little surprised! I went home and researched lipoprotein (a) and as it turns out it's the big kahuna of cholesterol, an even bigger problem than high LDL cholesterol. If you search the web for high lipoprotein (a) levels people are trying to reduce it without success and there is no medical treatment for it.

Doctors don't routinely check it with the usual cholesterol panel, mainly because there's little that can be done about it if it's high.

Just looking for a little perspective if anyone can help!

Thanks, bless you!

Lilharry
09-08-13, 05:17
Hi there,

I don't know anything about lipoprotein, but what did you naturopath say about it? Surely he has some ideas about how to deal with it? I have recently overhauled my diet as even though none of the tests my doctor took were abnormal I was suffering very badly with pain, fatigue, anxiety and depression (plus numerous other things). Diet has changed my world and I'm getting well again and I'm sure there will be something you can do about this too in terms of diet. I would definitely keep seeking advice from your naturopath, they are really knowledgeable about this stuff.

Mrs Merewether
09-08-13, 07:48
Thanks for your reply Lilharry,

The naturopath suggested megadoses of vitamin C as per the Linus Pauling Protocol (that's anywhere from 6000mg upwards per day, along with lysine and proline at similar levels). Pauling recommended this therapy, when he was alive, for heart conditions, cholesterol and to keep the blood vessels strong. It's pretty well documented and discussed on the web.

So I came home from the naturopath and started downing the vitamin C etc...I have taken vitamin C for a lot of years, about 4000 mg per day...but I stopped about 18 months ago for no particular reason. When I started up again it was hell on my stomach, even at small amounts. I even purchased some 'revolutionary', lol, liposomal vitamin C to try, supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, supposedmto be gentle on digestive system...nowhere near gentle.

So, I'm back to square one....not taking vitamin C...looking into natural products like camu camu powder etc.

Like you, I actually really watch my diet and have for many years since I learned I only suffered general panic disorder when my diet was lacking something or when I was anemic. Health anxiety is another matter....diet only helps to a small degree, because the main problem is worrying about my health, not nutritional.

Apparently, this lipoprotein (a) is genetic and anyone can have high levels, but who would know because doctors don't test it....unless someone healthy has a heart attack for unknown reasons, then they investigate the lp(a). They say if a group of marathoners were tested you'd find a high percentage of them with high lp(a).

So, I'm doing what I can anxiety wise....watching diet, relaxing, breathing etc, but just struggling to get a healthy perspective on the whole lp(a) thing.

Bless you.