PDA

View Full Version : Best Claire Weekes Book?

jayjoe18
09-08-13, 17:48
I've seen this author mentioned a lot, looked on Ebay and there are quite a few different books, can anyone recommend the best one for social anxiety, panic, phobia, agoraphobia?

Ronno
09-08-13, 17:51
Self help for your nerves .
Without doubt , my bible over the last 25 years.

inCOGnito
09-08-13, 19:03
Essential help for your nerves (it has two books in it), and I think it is the most recent.

cymraig_chris
09-08-13, 21:03
Any book by Claire Weekes will be good. I highly advise Freedom from Nervous Suffering ... Not a book but a 90 minute audio download from ITunes, I assume its available on other platforms as well.

Claire Weekes is better than every other anxiety relief/cure method out there.

Any other program or method that works is just a rephrasing of her original approach.

NE21 worrier
09-08-13, 23:58
Hello everyone.

Just dropping in to impart a bit of advice in this thread for now*. I've notice at least a couple of people ask about Dr Claire Weekes on this forum recently - Jayjoe here and also Annip on a thread which I had started a while back.

To all interested readers, I heartily recommend Dr Weekes's work. In June, I bought Self-Help For Your Nerves - an old book (orig 1977, I think) but still as relevant today [£5 from Amazon]. I also bought an audio CD called 'Passing through Panic' which, occasionally, I play in the car on the way to work [£13.61 from Amazon].

These resources gave me a lot more understand as to what was going on when I had a panic attack, and her Floating treatment also seems to have helped me in recent times.

A brief synopsis of what I have learnt, if I may: Dr Weekes advises you to be brave and face whatever it is that you may be feeling anxious about - but not to fight the symptoms of anxiety. This is easier said than done, of course, but with practice, you will learn not to be too impressed by palpitations or sweating, or pains in the chest and stomach.

Rather, Dr Weekes advises to accept them for what they are: symptoms of a nervous illness. Over time, and it does take a lot of time and practice, if you do not pay too much heed to these symptoms and carry on in your daily business ('floating'), they will lose much, or even all, of their sting.

Thanks,
Peter

*PS. I think I will write another post about my own situation shortly - not that it has particularly deteriorated massively, just hit a slight bump in my recovery due to an upsetting, rather personal, issue. I'm not bottling it up, I don't think, as I am doing OK - had a busy week at work and I'm off to the cricket at Durham tomorrow for which I am actually more excited than at all nervous. I still think I should write something shortly, I just don't know how to put it down...

jayjoe18
10-08-13, 17:31
Thanks everyone, I've just ordered Self help for your nerves and also the Essential help for your nerves... looking forward to reading them and hopefully getting on that road to recovery!!

lindave
11-08-13, 00:49
also try lorrain mason,panic attacts 5 steps to freedom a brilliant book,i found it better then Claire weekes.

jayjoe18
13-08-13, 18:32
also try lorrain mason,panic attacts 5 steps to freedom a brilliant book,i found it better then Claire weekes.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that too :)