PDA

View Full Version : First ESA Assessment.

fermina77
09-08-13, 18:26
I have been called for my first assessment at the ESA centre. They have sent me directions and to get there I would have to get on 5 buses. I have such bad panic attacks I find it hard to get on even one bus for a short journey. I simply do not have the funds for a taxi and have no one available to give me a lift.
Any suggestions on what I can do?

Annie0904
09-08-13, 19:58
I think in certain circumstances they can reimburse travel costs.

fermina77
09-08-13, 20:01
It is not really the travel expenses I am worried about it is more the panic attacks. I find even very short journeys on buses or trains extremely difficult.

Annie0904
09-08-13, 20:03
If you explain this they may pay for the taxi then you don't have to worry about changing buses.

fermina77
09-08-13, 20:23
To be honest I am concerned about being in a panic inducing situation full stop. I am going to ring them on Monday and try for a home visit.

bernie1977
09-08-13, 20:24
My Doctor wrote a letter for me explaining that I have agoraphobia and if they wanted to see me for a medical it would have to be a home visit. Maybe you could see if your Doctor would write a letter for you explaining your situation

Annie0904
09-08-13, 20:26
I tried for a home visit and failed. My doctor even told them he was having to visit me at home and that I wasn't well enough to attend meetings but they still made me go :( I was in a right state by the time I got there which I guess made them realise how ill I was but it wasn't good for me :( Luckily my step daughter was able to take me there.

bernie1977
09-08-13, 20:30
I wouldn't have stood for that Annie, that's awful. How can they think they know better than your GP? I would have got Welfare Rights or Citizens Advice involved. ATOS are *******!!

flossie
09-08-13, 20:51
My GP wrote a letter stating that because of significant agoraphobia I would be unable to travel to the assessment centre and a home visit would be needed. Talk to your GP and tell your worries. He may be willing to support your claim.
Just to let you know - there is a help with benefit section on the forum where you might find info which would interest you.

fermina77
09-08-13, 20:56
If they prove difficult then I will request my gp's support. i am sure he will as he has just prescribed me a home alcohol detox so i am sure he will agree i am not up to it.

Annie0904
09-08-13, 21:00
I wouldn't have stood for that Annie, that's awful. How can they think they know better than your GP? I would have got Welfare Rights or Citizens Advice involved. ATOS are *******!!

It was awful Bernie but at least they saw me in my worst state which I guess benefited me in the end. I was crying down the phone to them saying I wasn't well enough to go but they insisted they wouldn't do a home visit and if I didn't go I would lose my benefit. I guess a lot depends on who you get on the end of the phone :(