PDA

View Full Version : Clomipramine/Trimipramine same med?

Her Indoors
11-08-13, 09:11
Hi,

I have just been prescribed Trimipramine for my anxiety/OCD thoughts and was wondering if this was a similar medication to Clomipramine? Not sure if I can post this here, but was unsure where else to post it. Does anybody take this and is it effective? Positive stories would be great, really need some encouragement. So far so good with regards to side effects and only had a slight headache the next day after taking it at night. I also take Sertraline which I believe will be reduced after about eight weeks on these tablets.

Positive stories if possible please. Many thanks.

J xxx

Madammalinsky
18-08-13, 23:19
J

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think it is quite the same as clomipramine. My understanding is that clomipramine is quite a potent reuptake inhibitor of seratonin and norepinephrine, whereas trimipramine is a receptor antagonist. Bit too technical for me tbh, but my understanding is the drug binds to a receptor in your cells but then blocks a normal follow on response, therefore treating depression, anxiety etc etc. Maybe someone can correct me if I am factually incorrect? They are both TCA's though.

I'm on clomipramine for OCD and trichotillomania (hair pulling particularly eyelash and eyebrow) and it has definitely helped.
Fingers crossed it helps you too.
MM x

Her Indoors
20-08-13, 08:07
J

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think it is quite the same as clomipramine. My understanding is that clomipramine is quite a potent reuptake inhibitor of seratonin and norepinephrine, whereas trimipramine is a receptor antagonist. Bit too technical for me tbh, but my understanding is the drug binds to a receptor in your cells but then blocks a normal follow on response, therefore treating depression, anxiety etc etc. Maybe someone can correct me if I am factually incorrect? They are both TCA's though.

I'm on clomipramine for OCD and trichotillomania (hair pulling particularly eyelash and eyebrow) and it has definitely helped.
Fingers crossed it helps you too.
MM x

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and I am so glad you have found your medication helpful, that's encouraging to hear.

Things are very bad for me at the moment and I am extremely anxious and literally feel like I am climbing the walls. I have had to stop taking mirtazapine (I also take sertraline) and am wondering if I am suffering withdrawal as well as having start up effects with the trimipramine. I am in a terrible mess. On Wednesday night I have to take an increased dose of trimipramine and am praying I will start to feel better. Not sure how much longer I can cope with feeling this bad. I am receiving help from the Recovery Team and will get a visit tomorrow, hopefully they can give me some advice.

I wish you well and am pleased to see you are feeling better. It gives me hope. All the best and thanks.

J xxx