PDA

View Full Version : Hello all!

Jamrasta
30-06-04, 01:06
Hi all,

Finally i've found a panic related forum to talk to other people!

I'm 26 from South Wales, i've been having panic attacks for about a year although its only recently i've realised they are panic attacks. I've got this bad habit of becoming totally pre-occupied with what my heart is doing after the first few attacks and the slightest twinge, palpatation or pulsation in my heart area starts it off. Its had been getting to the point that everytime i try to go to sleep i'd have a bad attack and end up having 4hrs sleep a night going to work and then having attacks in work.

I've had days when i've been stuck at home where i'd have attacks literally all day, I tend to feel really detached from myself and dizzy which is why - from reading descrptions of panic attacks, I think i am actually having them rather than any physical problems.

The last 2 monthes have been much easier though. I have taken to avoiding caffeiene (once my big vice) and drinking water all day, not getting too drunk like I used to and getting plenty of exercise on my mountain bike. The exercise really really helps it takes my mind of the bad thoughts that always trigger my panic attacks and its getting me back in shape again. ALTHOUGH, I've had a rest day today and spent all evening playing pc games and suprise suprise I start having an attack albeit a very mild one. I'm still thinking of going to the doctors, maybe a medical or the doctor reassuring me there is nothing wrong with my heart might chill me out, but i'll wait a while first.

Anyway i'm jabbering on now, nice to meet you all and will speak again soon.

Jamie.

sarah
30-06-04, 01:14
Hiya Jamie

Welcome to the site!!

You sound like you are taking good steps to help yourself so thats great!!! Exercise is one of the best things you can do to get rid of excess adrenaline and keep the panic away.

I hope we can be useful to you.

Take a good look round, theres loads of great info here and on the homepage.
If you need anything...just shout!!!

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Jamrasta
30-06-04, 01:34
Thanks for the Welcoming.

Its the first time i've really told anyone or written about my panic attacks, I've got a lot more experiences and storys to contribute I didn't realise until now how much I would have to type to share them all! I am going to try to get some sleep now as I have to be up for work at 6.30am. (apologies for the typing, must get a new keyboard <<-- drink spillage again)

Meg
30-06-04, 15:05
Hi Welcome aboard.

Loking forward to the stories ..

Hope you had a calm nigts sleep and work was ok.

caffiene, alcohol and stimulant drinks such as Red Bull have a lot to answer for .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

april tones
30-06-04, 15:29
hi jamie, welcome! seems like your helping yourself get better all ready, well done! When ny panic attacks first started my symptoms were exactly the same, felt like i was walking on a slant and falling down. I hardly gety panic attacks any more, it will be the same for you too, just takes time and believing in your self! love april x

apriltones

nomorepanic
30-06-04, 19:54
Hi Jamie

Great to meet you and welcome to the site and forum.

Exercise is great for panic and the caffeine is a definite no-no so well done on that.

You sound quite bright so I am hoping that we can help you get along that little bit further.

I would go to the docs and get the all clear so that you know you are starting with a clean bill of helath and the problems are all panic/anxiety related.

Let us know if you have any questions ok?

Nicola

seh1980
30-06-04, 22:03
hello there,

Welcome to the site!! I've had panic attacks for about a year, too. They really scared me at first but am coping a bit better. The people on this site have really helped me and I'm sure it'll be the same for you!! Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

Ptownkid
30-06-04, 22:39
Hey Jamie, welcome to the site.

My anxiety and attacks are very similar to yours, I'm always focused on my heart. That's the root cause of my entire problem, nothing else makes me anxious. I know how scary it can be at times.

Getting a physical and getting a clean bill of health helps significantly, but by the sounds of it, you're well on your way to helping yourself.

This site contains tons of excellent information so come back often

Cheers

Bryan

http://systolic.indieontario.com
www.systolicmusic.com