PDA

View Full Version : Does pregabalin make you stupid?

shedrain
11-08-13, 12:16
Hi All,

I'm new to pregabalin.... 4 days in at 2x 25mg/day. Due to be increased over time. Taking on top of 112.5mg venlafaxine.

Talking to my pdoc and gp, I think they are thinking that this will be a long term med for me to manage my GAD.

My question is - does pregabalin make you stupid over time? Something to do with glutamate in the brain?

Has anybody who has been on this for a while noticed any dulling of their mental faculties??

Thanks x

Edward_1980
11-08-13, 12:27
Hi,

I've been on it for nearly a year now and I can tell you that it doesn't dull your mental faculties. Don't worry.

shedrain
11-08-13, 12:32
Hi,

I've been on it for nearly a year now and I can tell you that it doesn't dull your mental faculties. Don't worry.

Brilliant :yesyes:

How has it been for you?

SarahH
11-08-13, 15:06
i think it is different for everyone, i was stupid before anyway:)
Seriously, I think sometimes I struggle for words mid-sentence when I am talking and lose my thread about what I was saying. however, at my age and being a woman it's probably something menopausal.

I'm not registered with Mensa so I am not bothered by losing a bit of brain power if it gets rid of my anxiety.

Sarah

hanshan
12-08-13, 11:04
I work in tertiary teaching, and I can't say I've noticed it making me any more stupid than I already am.

I can say that it has reduced those times when I was struck with anxiety in the middle of teaching or dealing with people - that has made a big improvement in how I can organise my thoughts in those moments.

shedrain
12-08-13, 20:05
I work in tertiary teaching, and I can't say I've noticed it making me any more stupid than I already am.

I can say that it has reduced those times when I was struck with anxiety in the middle of teaching or dealing with people - that has made a big improvement in how I can organise my thoughts in those moments.

Hi Hanshan.

Did you get any erectile dysfunction issues on pregabalin?

Mark13
13-08-13, 23:33
I thought that pregabalin affected my intelligence.

Certainly there were concentration and memory problems, but I still get those on duloxetine so it's either common to these types of meds or just common to raised anxiety levels.

panicpanda
15-08-13, 21:55
I don't think Pregabalin has made me stupid, at least I can't blame the pills anyway :blush: Buuut I've often been stuck to find a certain word I'm looking for when talking to people, much more than I used to before taking Pregabalin.

hanshan
16-08-13, 14:20
Hello Shedrain,

Yes, one of the downsides of pregabalin for me has been less libido and some erectile dysfunction - not complete, so acceptable. It's a choice we all have to make.

shedrain
16-08-13, 17:06
Hello Shedrain,

Yes, one of the downsides of pregabalin for me has been less libido and some erectile dysfunction - not complete, so acceptable. It's a choice we all have to make.

I've noticed on my dose (2x25mg) that there is some, again not complete and still fine for the more intimate moments with my partner..

Did you find that the extent of the ED was somewhat dose dependent - did you notice a worsening when you increased the dose?

I'm quite nervous about increasing the dose for this reason (after a bit of reassurance that I won't be chemically castrating myself really!)

Thanks,

Shed

Edward_1980
25-09-13, 16:49
Brilliant :yesyes:

How has it been for you?

I had side effects the first day I took (Elated) and after that I had no problems with it. It's a great drug for anxiety.

almamatters
25-09-13, 17:42
I don't think pregablin has made me stupid but I do think it has affected my concentration levels . I have more trouble focusing on things than I used to, other than that I have found it a good medication.