PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fluid up nose

blackbroom
11-08-13, 12:42
I was just cleaning the sink with neat all-purpose cleaner and stupidly touched my face and I think a drop of the cleaning fluid went up my nose. My rational brain is telling me that a drop couldn't do much harm, but my anxiety brain is telling me I'm going to burn my nose/gullet/lungs.

My nose feels a bit irritated (possibly form me blowing it so much to try to get the fluid out) but other than that no other symptoms that I can tell. But I made the mistake of googling "inhaling detergent" etc and something came up about "late onset respiratory failure after inhaling detergent" and I've now convinced myself that I'm going to keel over and die in a couple of days with no warning.

I have longstanding anxiety issues around cleaning products, as well as other health anxiety issues.

emlica
11-08-13, 12:48
I'm pretty sure I've got cleaning products up my nose before. If it's only from you touching your face then it's not like it's shot up your nose, right? (might be different if you'd been sniffing it and squeezed!). Your nose is pretty much designed to keep the bad stuff from getting further in - it'd have to travel 'uphill' for one thing, but also the mucus and stuff that you get in your nose kind of catches stuff anyway. Getting a bit of cleaning product in/on your nose isn't the same as 'inhaling' it anyway...

blackbroom
11-08-13, 13:03
Thanks, emlica. I'm worried I may have sniffed some of it up, but I'm hoping I'd have symptoms by now if it was dangerous.

emlica
11-08-13, 14:51
I would doubt you'd sniffed any of it up - from what you've said you were blowing your nose so much nothing would have stayed 'up' :) And I'm presuming as you thought you might have some up your nose you weren't exactly standing there sniffing either. There wouldn't have been a lot of it if it was just from you touching your face with your hands after using it anyway - presuming you weren't actually washing your hands with the stuff!