PDA

View Full Version : On antibiotics yet got throat .......

nck44
12-08-13, 10:56
day 5 of 14 for a bad cough
but yesterday got bad throat and today getting white phlegm up, hurts when swallowing and glands swollen
google says throat infection but how is that possible when I am on antibiotics? shouldnt that get rid of anything not bring it on?

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

now the phlegm is green, dont understand how this can happen when on antibiotics

countrygirl
12-08-13, 11:03
If you have a cold then its perfectly normal without infection to have coloured snot etc as this is the old immune cells that are fighting the virus coming out. I was amazed when told this by a Dr as I always thought that coloured anything meant bacterial infection but apparently its not true.

I was told that getting green or yellow stuff in the acute phase of a cold virus is normal and not a need for antibiotics but if it continues after the Dr would have expected it to have stopped then it could be a bacterial infection has come along after the initial cold virus. Terribly confusing!

So your green stuff could just be natural part of virus and the dead immune cells in which case the antibtioics will have no effect on it at all as its not from bacterial infection.

I may be totally wrong of course but thought this info may be of use in future.

As you are on antibiotics I assume your Dr already thought you had some bacterial infection???

nck44
12-08-13, 15:15
I had dry cough hence anti biotics

had sore throat for while in the mornings just.concerned glands in neck now swollen

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

just got some up and had.blood in.but can't get.doctors till Wednesday
an terrified. any idea what it could be

Daisy Sue
12-08-13, 15:31
Don't be terrified, it sounds innocent enough to me.. either bacterial or viral infection.

It might be that your current antibiotics aren't the right ones for a throat issue but are working for your chest.. or if the throat's viral then antibiotics wouldn't help. Probably best to chat to your gp and see what they think. Meanwhile, drink plenty fluids, and maybe get some Strepsils.. they're antibacterial & antiseptic.

nck44
12-08-13, 16:53
Don't be terrified, it sounds innocent enough to me.. either bacterial or viral infection.

It might be that your current antibiotics aren't the right ones for a throat issue but are working for your chest.. or if the throat's viral then antibiotics wouldn't help. Probably best to chat to your gp and see what they think. Meanwhile, drink plenty fluids, and maybe get some Strepsils.. they're antibacterial & antiseptic.
thank you very much :)

ankietyjoe
12-08-13, 17:00
Could be viral

Antibiotics do nothing for viral infections, even though doctors like giving them out sometimes.

nck44
12-08-13, 21:34
is that bad? I am now sweating really bad

am covered in bruises but I think and hope that was bcos I was attacked the other day and nothing nefarious. At least I hope

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

google says it looks like TB???

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

google says blood in spit is TB?? do I need to get in docs asap instead of waiting till weds?

Speranza
12-08-13, 21:39
I think Google has said enough for one night. Your GP would know if it was TB just by how your chest sounds. Just let it be and trust the meds to do their work - chest infections can take a while to clear.

nck44
13-08-13, 04:05
fair enough
the doc didnt listen to my chest, anti biotics for a cough
got to wait weds

nck44
13-08-13, 12:32
got phlegm up all night and now throat is that bad cant speak
normally it wouldnt bother me as seems like a throat infection but the fact on antibiotics which I guess if you have green phlegm and sore throat you be given these and they dont seem to be doing anything is worrying??

nck44
13-08-13, 18:20
more blood but i did get the phlegm up thru my nose and then after one of my nostrils had a bit of blood in, is this bad?

nck44
15-08-13, 19:35
if anyone is intersted went to docs
got antibiotics changed, chest was clear
still getting green phlegm up in morning and white in the night but guess thats the virus

question is i have been spitting yellow stuff for a while and now have a vile taste in mouth out of the blue again with what looks yellow tongie....see photo

google says maybe thrush but i thought thrush was white?

can someone tell me if it is please ?? http://www.qfpost.com/z/1hECNM43Y.jpg

nck44
16-08-13, 04:24
please am freaking out, can anyone tell me this isnt oral thrush please--got vile taste in mouth

http://www.qfpost.com/z/E6cwelW66.jpg

Daisy Sue
16-08-13, 09:05
I'm not keen to click on your pic as I'm already a bit queasy this morning, but I would say if you're concerned, go show a pharmacist and see what they think, rather than book another GP appointment straight away. It might just be because you have an infection, or it might be thrush.. either way I'm sure it's absolutely nothing to worry about.