PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety - Kidney Cancer

Prefuse76
12-08-13, 20:48
Hi All,

I am a newbie here, I have had ongoing health anxiety for some years now which started off with an incredible fear of flying! I have since gotten over that specific fear for the most part, but I have had some health anxiety issues over the years which have now been magnified now that I have two small children.

Last year I was diagnosed with kidney stones because I had been having left flank pain that radiated from front to back etc, they were small stones, 2 x 3mm. However my doc just told me that I should pass them and besides she couldn't do anything for me as I was pregnant with my 2nd child. My son was born in April and all through the pregnancy I had no problem with the stones what so ever, infact I think the pain when away, maybe I passed them I have no idea!

Anyway several weeks ago the pain started up again, the exact same type of pain, I went back to the doc she said she could send me for a CT this time. So now I am waiting for the results, but unfortunately I went onto google, and kidney tumour symptoms are pretty similar to kidney stone symptoms, I know this was a huge mistake and I am totally freaking out! I keep having visions of my kids growing up without a mother, I think I really need to look into this CBT.
thanks for listening

Munchlet
12-08-13, 20:57
Hi

I've recently been having CBT for my health anxiety and one of the things it's been teaching me is with HA we always think symptoms are the most uncommon scenario rather than the far more likely.

Think about kidney stones and if you are anything like me you probably know a few people who have had them yourself included but do you know anyone who has had kidney cancer?

I certainly don't but as I say I know a few people who have had kidney stones and once you've had them they do tend to reoccur.

The fact you've had them before and the pain went suggest that this is exactly what this is and it sounds like it's flared up again.

Google will always give cancer as an example but it's like if you type in flu symptoms it will present with a whole list of different cancers it could be but the reality is it's far more likely to be flu or a virus.

Try not to google it's one of my biggest problems and it does nothing but add to the anxiety and make things worse. I'm trying really hard to stay off it now and I have to say since I have my HA has been better.

It's natural that you are anxious waiting for results anyone would be but I'm sure that hasn't even crossed your docs mind, she may well have sent you for a ct scan last time but couldn't as you were pregnant.

The fact you've had two episodes in the last year probably means she wants any idea of how bad the stones are and whether you are likely to need any treatment to prevent reoccurrence.

Try not to worry I know it's hard but I'm sure it will just be kidney stones and certainly nothing sinister.

Prefuse76
13-08-13, 18:21
Thanks for those kind and wise words!
Now I'm just waiting patiently for the results, I called the doctors office yesterday and they are there, just waiting for doc's review, how annoying!

Munchlet
13-08-13, 20:44
Well that sounds good, I was waiting on some biopsy results a few months back and when I rang they said "they are in but they are just waiting for the doctor to check them before they can be released"

I went into complete panic and said "why do they need to be checked if it's ok why can't they just be released to which the receptionist said "don't worry if there is anything urgent they are shown to the doctor as soon as they are received and you would be contacted immediately, when it's less urgent they are just left for the doctor to check as all results have to be checked by a doctor before they are released.

So I think the fact that they are waiting for a doctor to check them can only be good!

Let us know once you get your results. Take care

Marin
14-08-13, 01:22
Hi Prefuse,
I totally understand how you feel. I am a mum of 3 and all this has got a thousand times worse with me since having them. I am terrified of them growling up without me!

On your kidney problem - PLEASE don't worry (yeah! So easy to say!) Kidney cancer is such a rare disease, and you would have many other symptoms besides just pain I am sure. From my limited understanding pain is NOT generally a symptom of cancer in an organ until it is far advanced which is NOT meant to freak you out - read to the end! - which means that you would have many other symptoms BEFORE pain warning you something was wrong. PLUS you have a history of kidney stones. Rationally the possibility of a tumor is waaaaaay down the list of suspects. Hang in there. You will get your results soon and this will all be over X