PDA

View Full Version : shopping, advice, panic

lyndz91
12-08-13, 23:43
Hi everyone, i suffer panic attacks a year now.. when i get a panic attack i get dizzy and feel like fainting.. the thing i find hardest to do is shopping.. i can go into the shop have a quick look and then the panic sets in, i loose all concentration and leave. I find queing up the hardest. I just cant do it. I get dizzy and scared.. does this happen anyone else when queing up?? Could really do with some advice please..:)

reenymac
13-08-13, 01:25
Hey Lyndz91

Yeah am the exact same....queing is a nightmare.......I get completely anxious and agitated in the que it is horrible.......my shopping trips had been smash and grabs until recently......I stopped being so harsh on myself and started going to quieter shops that were smaller and less intimidating and also to ones that I have never been in before......I have now built up enough confidence to go back to the shops that I had problems with before and tackle them again......my anxiety and panic has been greatly reduced....it is such a hard thing to get your head round that we create our own panic attacks due to lack of confidence.....

I am just trying to build my confidence up bit by bit, cause I hate being restricted by my attacks,,,,wish you all the best and don't be harsh on yourself bit by bit.

Take care Reeny

semper solus
13-08-13, 08:27
Hi

I get it when I'm queuing. I feel all detached from myself and sort of floaty if that makes sense.

Col
13-08-13, 09:57
Bless you hun - classic panic attack trigger for many, as u can see from the replies! Its horrendous but when that rising panic starts to intensify its like standing on burning coal - U just need to get out!!!

Best to start on in small shops or take someone with U! I've got kids so can u imagine how dangerous its been for me to behave like this around them! I've had GAD for 2 years and when it started after a break down in 2011 - my boy was only 2! I found I'd almost drag him out of shops & shakily put him in his car seat as I cried! I'd leave the shop with either wrong stuff or buy things more expensive because I just grabbed stuff!

Its awful hun _ just take your time - little steps - go smaller shops OR take someone with U!!! If U find at the minute U can't bare 2 get to the shop entrance MY advice go early in the morning to avoid crowds OR shop online- I Know this costs a bit for home delivery & its not a proper solution but some times U need to take stock, recover & try again after a break!

lyndz91
13-08-13, 21:56
Thanks for the replies everyone :) glad to know its not just me that it happens to.. i also get that floaty feeling.. its so weird.. i have a 4 year old boy to and i do the exact same thing..rush into the shop and grab something for him and he doesnt understand why.. i want to get better for him :( gonna take all advice on board thanks guys :)

Lost2010
14-08-13, 10:33
Yes! I am exactly the same, I hang around the till (as near the exit as possible) until there is no queue at all (yes, I can be stood for there for ages, anxiety allowing!!). I find that I tend to arose suspicion because obviously I look jittery and like I'm about to make a run for it - always have be receipt on display as I'm power walking/running out of the shop lol

ps. I find shops with self-service checkouts can be a big help. Also, perhaps try going out of peak hours until you're more comfortable, big supermarkets that open 24 hrs can be helpful with this

lyndz91
14-08-13, 12:19
@lost2010 thanks for your reply.. im the same as u.. i wait till theres no que and also nearest the door.. run out once i paid then.. so annoying. Taken everyones advice on board and hopefully it will help :)