PDA

View Full Version : So scared...

ironpants74
14-08-13, 11:15
Hi all,

Well, i've been suffering from HA for about 9 months now. Had it really bad in the beginning but the particular thing I was worried about (lung cancer, i'm almost 40 and smoked for 21 years) was diagnosed as a trapped nerve and everything seemed to be going ok (had x-rays all fine). Then I started worrying about my stools, thought 'colon cancer', again was diagnosed, this time with GERD, given treatment and all fine again.
Right after that I got a couple of colds/flu type things which cleared up on their own, except maybe took a little while for the cough to subside.

During this I started taking Mirtazapine which is great, quit smoking (at last) and had CBT (which helped a lot) and eventually thought I'll get back to exercise. So off I went to play football and had severe wheezing/shortness of breath, I put it down to being unfit (to be honest because I was doing ok on the HA front I didn't want to go to the doctors and start the worry cycle off again!)

Fast forward a few weeks and I eventually went to the doctor...i'd also got a bit wheezy cutting the grass and in the mornings, so I thought, could be asthma, (which I had as a kid). He ordered a chest x-ray 'to make sure we haven't missed anything' and is treating it as asthma in the meantime, the inhaler seemed to help.

Had my X-Ray yesterday and awaiting results, but this morning I had the mother of all coughing fits in bed and spat out some mucus which had a tiny bit of blood in it. So, so worried about lung cancer again, thinking 'I had it all along andf they've missed it'. I'm absolutely terrified what the x-ray will show, and don't know how i'm going to get through the next few days waiting for results. There are lots of reasons for coughing up a little blood like that (just coughing hard can do it), why can't I just think 'i'll worry about it when I know what it is!

How does anybody else cope when symptoms they get could be caused by the thing they most fear, i'm scared witless!!!!!

Darren1
14-08-13, 12:24
I have symptoms which could easily be cancer but what keeps me going is a few things

Firstly I am not a doctor and whilst I think my symptoms are cancer, the doctors know the 'real' symptoms.

I have self diagnosed other conditions in the past, from mild to serious and I have always been wrong. Each time I have always been convinced I am right.

Worrying will not change any outcome - even if you had something serious you WILL cope, it is human nature to cope. The anxiety of tests and results is always worst than the actual facts. How else do people with terminal illnesses run marathons etc? It's not because they are filled with anxiety and fear etc.

But you do not need to think about tht today because by the sounds of it they are not concerned. I wish you all the best.

ironpants74
14-08-13, 18:49
Thanks Darren, that helps a lot to think of it that way, i've actually been ok today. Just a couple of hours of panic then back to 'oh well, whatever will be will be' and everything i'm experiencing does fit the docs initial diagnosis. fingers crossed, going to take my mind off it as much as possible now.