PDA

View Full Version : Doctors driving me more mental!!!

redmongrel
19-10-06, 15:24
Hi,

I am new to these boards so bear with me.Sorry!!

I have been on and off meds for Depression and panic attacks for 13 years but only just come to terms with my illness and have been reffered to a mental health team from my area.

They are visiting me at home and have told me to carry on taking setraline.But i have been on it before and it makes no difference i feel.I suffer from huge mood swings which affect my day to day so called life.But the doctor who comes out to me won't seem to listen and just says " Keep taking pills keep taking pills"

I find him rude and VERY difficult to talk to.The nurse who comes with him just yawns and barks orders at me.

Anyone else have any other experinces or advice with these 'teams'???

Or anything at all really i would like to know there are other people like me around!!!!

Steve.

honeybee3939
19-10-06, 15:40
Hi Redmongrel,,

Im afraid all doctors are not that quailfied,when it comes to mental health issues, glad to hear you have been referred to your local mental Health team, i never got anywhere with my doctor until i got referred to the mental health, since then i have never looked back.

Hope it all goes well for you !

Love

Andrea
xxxx

yorkylover
19-10-06, 16:22
I agree with andrea,you will feel better when you start with the mental health team,they are more experienced than the local gp's.They will discuss the medication with you.
Things will get better.;)

Ellen XX

redmongrel
19-10-06, 17:25
It sounds weird but i prefer my GP to the doctors that the mental haelth team have sent so far.

I suppose because i have known him so long and am wary of strange folk!!!

Louise
24-10-06, 17:40
Hs i Steve, my experience over the years has left me feeling highly sceptical of the Docs. I have had more success with complimentary therapies personally but it won't do any harm to get a good assessment from the mental health team. I had several assesments but one of them resulted in mis-diagnosis. I knew they were wrong but was ignored until a full year and several letters of complaint later I was given an apology. My point is this: if you feel they are understanding you and can offer you the helpYOU WANT, good. But if you aren't happy with what you are being told ask for a SECOND OPINION. Good luck.

bearcrazy
24-10-06, 18:28
hi, my mental health team have beewn really supportive. they have more time to talk than the gp. i didnt like some of them at the beginning, was more me and the anxiey than them, glad i stuck with it though now. hope everything goes well

bearcrazy
24-10-06, 18:29
hi, my mental health team have beewn really supportive. they have more time to talk than the gp. i didnt like some of them at the beginning, was more me and the anxiey than them, glad i stuck with it though now. hope everything goes well