PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had Shigella infection?

emlica
15-08-13, 13:20
When I had a tummy bug a few weeks back, a few other people at work were sick as well, figured it was just some minor gastric bug going round, you know? But now, the housemate of someone in my office has gone down with something similar, but his symptoms are worse. His doc took a stool sample and it's come back that he has a shigella infection.

Me and the other people who were ill are starting to think that maybe we had that too. I actually had it fairly mildly, really, but my symptoms definitely matched the kind of milder end of a shigella infection. It's too late now for me to get tested for it as the test is a stool sample and 6 weeks on it wouldn't still be present (unless I was still really ill, I guess, which I'm not), but it would certainly explain why I don't feel 100% again yet. Everything you read about shigella infections says things like 'may take several months for bowel habits to return to normal' - and mentions lactose intolerance developing, which I also have. Oh, great!

I'd spoken to a couple of other people who've had nasty food poisoning type bugs (including someone on here - thanks Daisy Sue!) who have said they've had the same as me for a while afterwards - basically not feeling all that hungry, feeling a bit 'off' after eating, gurgling guts that are occasionally a bit sore, and not quite right in bowel habits terms (nothing disastrous really - I don't still have diarrhoea, luckily). Improvement is frustratingly slow, and it's a bit like one day I'll think I'm on the mend and 2 days later I won't be so sure. It could be a lot worse than I actually have, though, I know!

One of my main problems is how much I worry about it, I fear (currently also affected by my impending period, which is not going to help anything!). So I've got a telephone appointment with the doctor on Monday - realistically it's not urgent and I don't need to see her in person as she's already done loads of tests that were clear, felt my abdomen, etc. I'm going to ask her 'is this really still normal 6 weeks on?', but realistically I'm expecting her to say yes. Would appreciate any other stories of recovering from a nasty food poisoning / bacterial gastroenteritis type bug - and any advice on speeding up recovery, though I fear there's not much to be done...