PDA

View Full Version : Fear

andrea1967
16-08-13, 10:28
Hi all

I have been suffering anxiety for 3 months now really badly. I was diagnosed with slight traces of emphysema and was told if I stopped smoking it wouldn't progress any further and I would be fine and not be symptomatic (I am 46 female). That was from a private consultant. However because of my HA that wasn't good enough and I went into free fall to this point and the last week been the worst. I am not on medication and waiting for counselling. The last few days I have developed a horrible obsession that I have schizophrenia and it is just taking over my whole thinking pattern. It is bad enough trying to deal with the anxiety but now this, I feel so helpless. I know its only caused by anxiety , but I am scared now all this is going to drive me to a breakdown. I now cannot hear certain words without thinking I am suffering it.......where does it all end. Does anyone have any suggestion to help me with this.....I am trying to reason with myself but I think I am just too gone into it to step back out...

Jennifer8907
16-08-13, 11:09
Have you been to the doctors? Maybe medication might help I had an obsession with cancer I was convinced I had it I went to the doctors because all I kept on thinking about was I'm going to die soon I was put on sertaline been on them around a month now I feel so much better and don't have them nasty thought they do come now and again but they are not extreme and they seem to go away rather quickly.. Anxiety is a horrible thing and everything you are thinking is just the ANXIETY hopefully you can seek some help and overcome these negative thought... Anymore questions feel free to ask xx

Sparkle1984
16-08-13, 12:56
I've never smoked before, but if you recently stopped you may feel weird for a while until your body adjusts. I've heard that it can affect people's moods as well.

I agree with Jennifer, medication has helped me a lot to deal with intrusive thoughts. Is your counselling via the NHS? If you go back to your doctor and explain you are having trouble, they may let you have some meds to tide you over until your counselling starts. Make sure the doctor is aware how bad you are feeling. I'm on citalopram myself. They'll probably offer you either that or sertraline.

I also have some more general advice in the link in my signature below.