PDA

View Full Version : New and Lustral

mgw
17-08-13, 20:47
Hi, I'm new to this site, so hope Im posting in the right place.
I have recently been prescribed Lustral Sertraline 50mg tablets to be taken daily for Anxiety, OCD and depression.
I haven't taken meds before - Have had a few experiences of valium which I found fine but am new to this sort of stuff.
I am really worried about taking meds in general, an have a lot of anxiety about this alone. When prescribed them the doctor didn't really give me any info of what to expect so I would be really greatful if anyone could answer some of my questions.
I am interested in knowing what the side effects are like? Do the benefits outweigh the bad points?
Also I want to know how much of a lifestyle change this will be. In terms of how addictive this is, how hard it is to come off them etc. Also I'm a student.. so not drinking will be hard! Is drinking not good whilst on this?
I'm really scared about taking them, and I don't know if its the right thing to do- I feel as if I really need to take the first steps into sorting myself out but the idea of taking them create even more anxiety for me :(.

If anyone has any stories of experience, or views or anything that could help me it would be VERRYY much appreciated!

Sparkle1984
18-08-13, 13:51
Welcome to the forums. I've never taken this particular medication but I thought I'd reply seeing as no one else has. Sertraline is one of the SSRI medications which are used for depression and anxiety. I'm currently on citalopram which is another SSRI, so it's very similar. I've found it very helpful.

Please be aware that these meds can take anything up to a few weeks to kick in fully, so don't be disheartened if you don't get instant results. People usually take this sort of meds for about 6 months to a year, although they can be used longer term for people with recurrent clinical depression. When it's time to come off, your doctor would give you a tapering off schedule, as you have to wean off gradually to avoid withdrawal effects.

You'll probably get more replies if you post in the sertraline sub forum, as not many people seem to look at this top level medication forum. If you want, you may find it helpful to start a daily diary of your experiences on sertraline, so then other people will be able to reassure you. If you look through my previous threads you'll see my citalopram diaries.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

mgw
19-08-13, 12:42
Sparkle1984,
Thankyou so much for your reply,
the idea of starting a diary sounds a really good idea, I will try this.
An will also try posting in the other forum - didn't know it existed!
Thanks again!