PDA

View Full Version : Therapy finished and still not coping

Charlotte cosier
17-08-13, 20:56
Really not coping intrusive thoughts r scaring the hell out if me it's like there getting worse can someone tell me how else to get over this harm OCD please I don't know what to do :weep:

Tessar
17-08-13, 21:39
What sort of coping techniques did they suggest in your therapy? I know in my case, if there is something that it would benefit me to avoid thinking about, then I need to get busy, consume my mind with something pleasurable or constructive.

yenool
17-08-13, 21:45
Try and hang on to the fact that they are JUST thoughts and nothing more. They only meaning or significance they have is what you allow them to have really - try and treat them as the insignificant nonsense that they are. (This is MUCH easier said than done I know!!).

Try and keep busy with other things and apply whatever techniques you have learned in therapy. Whether that is distraction or thinking of more of realistic thoughts to counter the negative / intrusive ones.

Charlotte cosier
17-08-13, 23:09
I was taught breathing exercises

Tessar
17-08-13, 23:21
Is that like mindfulness or just sort if relaxation exercises? I have been looking inti mindful meditation but haven't been very committed. I think I need to start taking it more seriously. But I must say when I have tried focusing in my breathing & shutting my mind off to stuff around me or to my thoughts, it has been very relaxing,

Charlotte cosier
17-08-13, 23:23
Mindfull ness and relaxation

yenool
18-08-13, 11:23
Is that like mindfulness or just sort if relaxation exercises? I have been looking inti mindful meditation but haven't been very committed. I think I need to start taking it more seriously. But I must say when I have tried focusing in my breathing & shutting my mind off to stuff around me or to my thoughts, it has been very relaxing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH3_64mLCU8 < a basic mindfulness exercise.