PDA

View Full Version : Everyone here - you're all most probably suffering with gluten intolerance

shakey1961
18-08-13, 07:15
Hi.

The more I read about peoples problems on here the more I'm truly convinced people with anxiety are most likely to be suffering with stomach problems - namely gluten intolerance.

Dizziness, numbness in limbs and fingers, anxiety, panic, blood sugar problems, brain fog, can't concentrate, depression, mood swings... the list goes on and on.

I'm no expert, but I am getting better and I'm realising that there are a lot of people with anxiety linked to problems with digestion.

On a recent thread someone says their doctor says the "Mind is connected to the stomach". I would say the reverse is true, the "Stomach is connected to the mind."

Gluten problems cause you to not get the nutrients and vitamins you need for the body to run efficiently. Since coming off gluten for the past 2 years I am calmer and I don't get anxious. I'm not taking deep breaths and "sighing" all the time. I can't remember the last time I had a panic attack and I'm going on trains which is something I would never have attempted even 3 years ago.

I would be very interested in a mass experiment for people to avoid gluten and see if their symptoms improve, have a Coeliac disease test, or see their GP about gluten problems.

Anyone else had similar observations?

---------- Post added at 07:15 ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 ----------

Oh, and people, don't stop taking any medication you've been prescribed, that wouldn't be wise.

almamatters
18-08-13, 07:20
I have considered this in the past and have worried about allergy and intolerance issues being the cause of anxiety, but how do I get tested for this? I doubt my GP would be interested in testing me as they think I have had enough tests . Would a colonoscopy show any signs of this as I had one of these last year which was ok.

---------- Post added at 07:20 ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 ----------

Also what would be the main foods to avoid

Edie
18-08-13, 08:04
I'm on a gluten free diet. It has most definitely helped with my guts, other physical issues, and also mentally. But sadly I do still have anxiety and depression.

Pipkin
18-08-13, 08:28
Not true for me, I'm afraid. I considered this in the past and changed my diet for a few months to see if it helped. It made no difference at all to my anxiety and I missed my Friday-night pizza terribly.

On the other hand, eating a generally healthier diet and doing more exercise does help.

Pip

shakey1961
18-08-13, 09:21
OK testing for Coeliac. One test that is available is from a chemist e.g. Boots. I think it's probably available to buy online. This costs about £20. It checks for anti-bodies in your blood, but you must NOT stop eating gluten containing food, eg. bread and wheat, barley or rye. If you get a positive test result, take a picture of the two red lines on the test strip as it will fade before you can get to your GP. Show your GP the result and ask for an official test.

Having said that, the test may still give a negative result and you could still be gluten intolerant. Get the test first.

If you have a negative result, try going on a gluten free diet.

Foods you can't eat are anything containing wheat, barley or rye. So that cuts out all breads, pizza bases, chips with a coating containing wheat. Malt vinegar is a no-no as it contains barley. All brewed beers but you can drink Cider. Pasta is also on the banned list. Cakes are out!

Rice is fine. I eat rice cakes with cheese on or jam (or both). All fresh meat is ok. Vegetables are good. Fish is ok. Potatoes are ok if you cook them yourself.

To my knowledge, a colonoscopy would not show up coeliac disease, but if you had a camera down your throat that would be able to take a biopsy of your gut and that would show signs of the disease.

Hope this helps. Keep asking and I'll try and answer.

bellesmummy
18-08-13, 09:35
I to believe this very much! I am waiting for my test to arrive, sometime this week hopefully!
I have always thought that my problems aren't all in my mind and that there is something more to it!!!
For the sake of £20 its worth doing a test!!:yesyes:

Edie
18-08-13, 09:35
In the past couple of months, a lot of pizza chains have started selling gluten free pizzas, including Pizza Express, Pizza Hut, ASK and Dominos. This has made me very happy :)

Gotagetthroughthis
18-08-13, 09:49
I agree that some anxiety symptoms can definitely be added to by having a food allergy. I am pretty sure I have some sort of food allergy most probably Gluten/wheat. When I eat white bread I notice I get dizzy and foggy headed along with stomach and digestion pains. But then brown bread seems ok most of the time, but isn't that still wheat?

I would like to try a gluten free diet. It does seem like its is pretty much everything now though. Even things like porridge outs which I have in the morning are contaminated with gluten as they are made in the same factory as wheat products.

shakey1961
18-08-13, 11:55
Gluten intolerance is NOT an allergy. It is an acquired auto-immune disease that is passed down the DNA through one or both of your parents. I think mine came via my fathers line of the family.

Bread is bread - it will contain gluten. Please try cutting it out. The stomach and digestion pains you are getting are classic signs of a gluten problem.

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Tesco do a brilliant range of gluten free products. They have gluten free porridge. You'll find it all in the "Free From" aisle.

It's pricey though, but then isn't it worth paying that extra for a two week experiment?

TheScript
18-08-13, 11:56
I have been wondering about this a few times, because i can feel extremely tired after eating. To the point were i can't keep my eyes open. I yawn alot and my stomach feels upset alot. I've tried going gluten free twice, but i only did it for 2 weeks, not long enough to really see, maybe i should try it again for real. Thanks for your post.

Annie0904
18-08-13, 13:08
I had an endoscopy, colonoscopy and tests for gluten intolerance. They showed that I am NOT intolerant to gluten. I have ibs still.

shakey1961
18-08-13, 15:28
Have you tried going on a Gluten free diet though?

almamatters
18-08-13, 15:40
I have also had an endoscopy not sure if they took any biopsies though as they were checking for other things and I have never mentioned gluten intolerance to my GP. I eat a lot of bread , would I be feeling pretty ill if I was in fact intolerant to gluten?? I might try one of the boots tests though.

shakey1961
18-08-13, 15:53
Well maybe not pretty ill if you eat a lot of bread all the time. I think you'd be more likely to be constantly "not right". My problem is once I came off wheat I felt wonderful and the odd time I've accidently eaten gluten it's hit me really hard as I've not had gluten in years.

Try a gluten free diet

Edie
18-08-13, 16:22
The endoscopy can only test for coeliac disease. The only way to test for an intolerance is to try altering your diet and see what happens.

After eating gluten, about 3 hours later I get horrendous diarrhoea, dizziness, sudden fatigue (struggling to stay awake) and dizziness and fainting, combined with severe depression attacks, floods of tears and feeling dread for the future. I still have these issues in a much more minor form, but not the sudden, severe attacks like before.

It's made a positive difference for me, but we're all different.

Annie0904
18-08-13, 18:24
Have you tried going on a Gluten free diet though?

I haven't because the doctor told me that it is not the problem for me. I did test intolerant to yeast and a few other things though. I must be honest though and admit I haven't been able to be strict with a yeast free diet.

Rushway
21-08-13, 17:24
HI,

I am a diagnosed Celiac of 14 years, had the skin biopsy, endoscopy etc....all positive, inherited it from my mother,also a Celiac...

To start with I didn't take a lot of notice of the Gluten Free diet and kept eating it and as it seemed to have little effect on me from a disease perspective (it is a disease, not an allergy!)..

I then started to have GA, Panic attacks for about 5-6 years, didn't associate the two....then twigged..cut out the Gluten and after a while the symptoms reduced significantly.

I now notice that if I accidently ingest gluten or deliberately (yes, sometimes I'm naughty!!), the symptoms of brain fog, depression, aching, all the nasties return....

Another point to remember is that there is a possible gluten intolerance that exists, not all peeps have to be Celiacs...

The 'Boots' test is also rudimentary, if you feel this may be a problem, see your GP and ask for the correct test, as only a gut biopsy will confirm the presence of Cleiac disease...

Gluten is the spawn of Satan, I strongly believe that most people would be at least be better off avoiding it, although hard...but there are alternatives and it does get easier...

Hugs to all....:hugs:

PanchoGoz
21-08-13, 18:29
I'm not gluten intolerant. Not everyone with anxiety is gluten intolerant. We are all different and have anxiety for different reasons.

shakey1961
21-08-13, 19:23
I know Panchoz, but isn't it worth a try? I only found it out by accident. If I hadn't I'd still be eating wheat and wouldn't know. 35 years of hell I've had from 16 to 51, and it's robbed me of the best years of my life. You don't know how angry I am. And I just don't want anyone to be going through the same if it can avoided by not eating gluten!!!

What got me is how the condition is so totally unrelated to your nervous system, though I must admit I always suspected I had a problem with my digestion, but never linked it so closely with panic. I knew I had hypos, but could never quite understand why. Coeliac/gluten was my missing link and it all fits together now.

As I like to put it, Gluten was the missing piece of the jigsaw I'd been looking for, for so long. Now that I am researching more on gluten, the jigsaw is coming into high definition. I can look back at my father and his brothers and parents and can see a definite link there. Sadly they're all dead now so I can't ask them, but from what I know it's definitely there.

And what gets me even more angry is my GP's over the years never thought to test me for it, they were quite happy to keep giving me notes to claim my benefit and my blood glucose meter test strips and the various pills I've had from Valium to MAOI inhibitors to all manner of anti psychotics. All for the want of a few simple blood tests.

Pipkin
21-08-13, 21:14
Anything's worth a try - I did a few years ago and it made no difference at all to me. There are loads of other theories which people have regarding diet and vitamin deficiencies. Some may work for some people but, ultimately, it's important that we face our anxiety, accept it for what it is and learn how to reduce it through whatever technique best suits.

I'm all for giving things a go but not if that means constantly searching for answers which may not exist. In my opinion, that just fuels the fire of anxiety by telling our bodies there's something wrong. Tbh, I think the title of this thread is inaccurate. 'Some of you may be...' would be more appropriate.

Pip