PDA

View Full Version : Not sure why doctor prescribed Sertraline as opposed to other meds

Daveyboy
18-08-13, 11:11
I know why he prescribed an antidepressant - just not sure why he chose this one. So far no side effects after 2 days.

I originally tried Citalopram (made me nauseus) and had some success with Mirtazapine. I came off that because I felt better and it really made me sleepy / zombified a lot of the time. So this time round I asked for something other than those two and he chose Setraline. I have no preference for any particular medication, but am wondering why he chose this one instead of what I thought was the regular one of Prozac? I didn't get time to ask any questions as he was obviously keen to get me out of the door and onto the next in line.

When I was first prescribed Mirtazapine, amongst the symptoms I described were the feelings of hating my supervisor at work even though the guy is understanding and trying to help and I know the thoughts are irrational. This time I mentioned that when down, I feel everybody is trying to blame me for things they clearly aren't. I would add that these are NOT symptoms I have unless I am feeling down. I'm wondering if this additional info guided the choice of antidepressant?

Pipkin
18-08-13, 12:24
Hi there,

Sertraline is named in the NICE guidance for anxiety as the first line SSRI on the basis of cost (ie, it's cheap). That will be why you've been prescribed it. To be honest, all SSRIs are pretty similar but everyone responds differently to different ones and it's a bit of trial and error as to which will work for you. Some people will say sertraline gave them their life back, others will say it didn't work at all.

Lots of people do very well on it and you should be confident that it will work for you.

Good luck

Pip

Daveyboy
18-08-13, 14:22
Ha! The one reason I didn't think of - cost!

Thanks for the reply - I'm hopeful this can get me back on an even keel. Feeling positive about it at least :)

Jennifer8907
18-08-13, 14:39
I'm on sertaline feel miles better worked for me hopefully works for you no negative thoughts latley :)) x

southey
19-08-13, 09:54
Yes cost has much to do with NHS prescriptions. All these SSRI's are similar but different people swear by different drugs for effectiveness so it can be a bit of trial and error.
Most people I know were started on Citalopram but a good number end up switching.

So far Sertraline has been the most helpful for me and I have a theory that as the Sert' acts in higher dosages on Dopamine uptake to a lesser degree as well as Serotonin, it gives more of a lift from depression?

It's a shame Wellbutrin is not available in the UK for Depressive illness as this is primarily a Dopamine re-uptake inhibitor and from anecdotal reports quite effective?

Steve.

Daveyboy
19-08-13, 18:49
Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling good today. As I only started taking it Saturday it can't be the Sertraline. I'm not as yet suffering any side effects so maybe the feeling of wellbeing is down to feeling this might work out? I'm on 50mg btw.

MrAndy
19-08-13, 20:42
im on 50mg and its really helping me with no horrid side effects
good luck