PDA

View Full Version : Extremely sharp chest pain that lasted for 3 seconds

JCRyanDenton
18-08-13, 12:54
Last night while i was trying to sleep on my right side, i suddenly got this sharp chest pain in the upper middle of my chest (above my heart). It was incredibly sharp, i put my hands over it and actually stood up in bed. The pain then went, and i felt my heart beat and it felt alright. Didn't feel any other symptoms. But it scared me enough to wake my mother about it, who calmed me down in the end. The pain thankfully didn't come back but i am genuinely worried its a sight of something serious.

I did rub the area around where it occurred, which is the edge of one of the rib bones, and i can feel a knot so im not sure if that was the cause.

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

It occurred just above the sternum, but i dunno what it was still. It was closer to my collar bone than anything.

joelhall
18-08-13, 13:14
Muscular I have to say.

countrygirl
18-08-13, 13:15
sharp pains slightly off centre of sternum are incredibly common ad nearly always caused where the rib joins the sternum. costocondriatis is its name but that is usually reserved for severe cases where many people have ended up in A&E convinced they were having a heart attack! Its also very common in young people.

I have had it for over 30 years and with me the pain can be almost anywhere in chest. The significant thing is that it is an extremely short sharp stabbing pain rather than a dull crushing ache.

Obviously if you keep on getting it and it worries you see the Dr.

JCRyanDenton
18-08-13, 15:28
Muscular I have to say.

It was easy to pin point, so it can't have been heart related.

Thought it was a PE or something though, i mean the pain wasn't new, just how strong it felt.

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

sharp pains slightly off centre of sternum are incredibly common ad nearly always caused where the rib joins the sternum. costocondriatis is its name but that is usually reserved for severe cases where many people have ended up in A&E convinced they were having a heart attack! Its also very common in young people.

I have had it for over 30 years and with me the pain can be almost anywhere in chest. The significant thing is that it is an extremely short sharp stabbing pain rather than a dull crushing ache.

Obviously if you keep on getting it and it worries you see the Dr.

I did think i was having an heart attack due to how strong it was, but somehow i never got quite as scared as i would when having a panic attack...which is strange.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

I would love to hear more stories of it though. I mean i have felt the pain before, just never on this level. Its more like a stinging to be than anything else.

Im sorry but i did genuinely feel i was gonna drop dead when the pain occurred...but just without any other symptoms i was expecting and it went so quickly.

The other night i had a sensation close to my right armpit while sleeping on my right, went very quickly too and without any other symptoms.

KeeKee
18-08-13, 15:44
I occasionally get a mild sharp pain behind my left breast. I mentioned it to the doctor and he didn't seem phased. So it must be common enough for him to not be worried - if that makes sense.

JCRyanDenton
18-08-13, 17:04
I dunno why, but today i feel depressed, still getting some sore sensations around the same area but nothing too painful.