PDA

View Full Version : Is repetitive thoughts really anxiety?

TheScript
19-08-13, 14:27
I have all the anxiety symptoms but this one symptom is really frustrating. I keep thinking the same thoughts over and over. Thoughts keep replaying in my head. Like my brain is stuck on replay.

The more i try not to think of it, the more it comes back. I repeat a word or anxious thought in my head, and thoughts just seem to pop up.. it's like i'm always thinking the same things .. i hope i'm not going crazy :(

Jean18
19-08-13, 17:03
Sounds like OCD which often goes hand in hand with anxiety, are any of your actions repetitive or just your thoughts?

TheScript
19-08-13, 17:11
I don't really do any repetitive actions

It's exactly like this i found on anxietycentre symptom list:
No matter what you do, you seemingly can’t stop your mind from thinking over and over again. In every undistracted moment you find your mind replaying the unwanted thought, concept, melody, or song.

These thoughts are like a hamster running on a squeaky hamster wheel in the background. No matter what you are doing, that squeaky wheel seems to be always turning.'

Jean18
19-08-13, 17:35
I have repetitive thoughts too in that I'm always thinking but what if (insert bad situation here) then u feel the compulsive urge to take action. I go through my OCD ritual (hand washing) to feel safe again and quietness the voice in my head ( until a new situation arises at which it then starts all over again :( sounds like u have anxiety then, are u getting help?

TheScript
19-08-13, 17:43
Yes i have that too. Alot of 'what if' thoughts. I don't do any rituals tho. Yes i have been diagnosed with anxiety, i'm reading Claire weekes books now it has helped me a little. Thank you for your reply. I wish i could just turn my thoughts off sometimes..

inCOGnito
19-08-13, 17:50
I've always had repetitive thoughts like that. Gets more active with increased stress.

from what I understand it could be habitual as well as promoted by underlying beliefs ie the belief that you need to keep thinking or the problems won't get solved