PDA

View Full Version : Deep yawning

TheScript
19-08-13, 15:01
Whenever i feel anxious or panicky i always start yawning. These are very deep yawns and i can't stop them.. Am i not breathing correctly? It's one thing that always comes when i feel anxiety. Does anyone else have this? I'm kinda concerned that it may be a brain problem

skippy66
19-08-13, 15:18
I'm no expert but here's my theory:

When you're anxious the 'fight or flight' syndrome kicks in. Your body gets prepared for battle as cavemen had to do when they saw a sabre-toothed tiger about to kill them. In getting prepared, it tenses the muscles to make you look stronger, it makes you go to the toilet to make you lighter and therefore quicker, it heightens your senses which makes you a bit dizzy and aware of everything around you, it gets more oxygen in to fuel your muscles for a fight (hence the yawning, or some people hyperventilate).

I wouldn't worry about this. You need to stop looking for reassurance for your symptoms.

clank
19-08-13, 22:20
When I get anxious I yawn every few seconds! It's completely normal when you get anxious no worries!

JCRyanDenton
19-08-13, 22:37
I was told its due to a imbalance of carbon dioxide in the body. The yawning is a way for it to get out of the system apparently.