PDA

View Full Version : HIV Scare / Memory Uncertain / Flashbacks / Depression / Anxiety / Suicidal Thoughts

GBFast
19-08-13, 19:26
This is my first post on the forum and the title is a fair summary of my current trauma. It is also the first time I have discussed it all 'publically', aside from my sister and (in some cases so-called) medical professionals. So, even if this is fairly anonymous, it's not easy for me, but I guess we are all troubled in some way, so I am among 'friends'.

I decided to join this forum because, while here, I am distracted from my seemingly dire predicament.

I am single and gay, not fully 'out', though closest family and some friends know (and others assume, I'm sure!). I have a background of relatively mild anxiety issues, but including a few troubling panic attacks, which have generally been short-lived and (apparently) successfully treated. I also have phobias about heights, including bridges, due to a genuine near-death experience 15 years ago.

While abroad, in June, I went to a gay club, where the drink was flowing, and had some form of sex while I was there. I know that much, and also know that I contracted gonorrhea (in my penis). I know I had oral sex performed on me, but cannot remember if there was more (I fear there was). I didn't blackout, I just don't quite remember all that happened.

The gonorrhea was confirmed when I got home, and treated. I was also screened for other STDs and asked to return later in the year for further precautionary screening.

Four weeks later, while abroad again, I took ill with sudden diarrhoea, sweats, night sweats, loss of energy and appetite, etc. Some of these symptoms have persisted, now 11 weeks later. You can guess what i am thinking ....

I plucked-up the courage to get an HIV test (a modern, sensitive one at the local NHS GUM Clinic) on 15 July, 42 days after the risky encounter, and prepared for the worst. Later that day, I was told it was negative, I was flabbergasted, but perked-up a bit.

But, then I thought about the troubling symptoms, many of these continuing, and grew increasingly anxious and agitated again, until I broke-down during an appointment with my GP.

He did a thorough physical exam, further blood tests for possible causes, and a second HIV test (done at the same GUM Clinic), 51 days after the exposure. This, too, was negative, and should have been very reassuring. Certainly, my GP says he is sure I do not have HIV and have severe, acute anxiety.

As the time has gone on, my anxiety has worsened, with several trips to A&E, mental health assessments, and an increasingly depressed state.

The more reassurance I have had about not having HIV, the more I am convinced that the symptoms trump what the tests and medical people (they never want to say 100% about anything) have said. I am also increasingly troubled by flashbacks to the place where it happened and the detail (or lack of it) is torturing me - it seems to me like a form of PTSD. These dominate my thoughts as much as the HIV risk, especially when I close my eyes. No doubt there are also feelings of guilt, remorse, wanting to turn the clock back, a loss of self-control, etc, etc.

My anxiety has become increasingly coupled with a deep depression, and not thinking straight - not wanting to die, but apathetic and feeling like I am not in control of my thoughts.

I stayed with my sister and her family for two weeks, as they felt I should not be alone, but I felt particularly troubled last week and worried that I was getting out of control. My family took me to hospital but, because I did not have a specific plan to kill myself, they sent me home, in a taxi, at 3.30am.

Since then, I have been surviving day-to-day, alone, welcoming dusk, a sleeping pill, the relief that some sleep brings, and then dreading the dawn. I don't feel I want to be with the people who would allow me to stay with them because I worry what I might do (I would hope I wouldn't do it, but the morbid thoughts involving hazardous objects, etc, are SO troubling).

I have never felt, and nor could I ever have imagined myself, in such a dark place, even if it has been of my own making (but with my genetics playing their part).

Quite honestly, and it's a horrible thing to have to admit, I think I should be in a place of safety for a while, but the people who assess these things seem to think I have demonstrated that I can keep myself safe, despite the tortuous existence, and that attending things like relaxation classes and listening to relaxation tapes is the answer.

I really don't know where to turn or what to, but I am sure that one or some of you can relate to some of this, and thank you for reading and look-forward to seeing what (if anything) you can say.

As I said, it's therapeutic - and a distraction (of sorts) from my own ruminating.

Thank you for 'listening' to my rant - that's my story that's brought me here.

G.:weep:

Pipkin
19-08-13, 22:09
Hi Gavin and a big, warm :welcome: to NMP!

You're in the right place and I know you'll meet some great people here.

Take care

Pip

GBFast
22-08-13, 14:26
Thanks, Pip.

Three days on, I'm in the same dark place, and no one seems to understand (the medical people think I'm just very anxious).

Awful, just awful.

Pipkin
22-08-13, 14:43
Hi Gavin,

Sorry things aren't any better. You say that the medical people think it's just anxiety but, believe me, anxiety can cause all of the symptoms you're describing. No doubt what you're finding is that the more you're convinced it's something physical, the more you worry and the worse you feel. Anxiety has a nasty habit of trapping us in that vicious circle.

I can't reassure you that it is definitely anxiety and it wouldn't do you any favours if I did. All I can suggest is that you realise that it is a possibility and get treatment for it. Hopefully, this will ease your worries a little and, in turn, lessen your symptoms. Are you receiving any therapy or taking medication?

Your profile says you're taking a career break - often a lot of free time just gives us more time to dwell on problems and makes them grow. What line of work were you in? Is it something that you can either do part time whilst you're recovering or maybe some of your work skills can be used to look more rationally at the situation and see that the likelihood of you having HIV after both your tests and the doctor's reassurance is minimal. Sometimes viewing things as you would at work helps to get things into perspective. It does for me.

I know how it feels to be where you are at the minute, albeit with different worries, and I just want you to know that it will get better. You just have to try to accept what your doctor's telling you and get treatment for the anxiety. If only it were as simple as it sounds, eh?

Take care

Pip x

GBFast
22-08-13, 14:56
Thanks, Pip.

I accept that those symptoms (well, not the gonorrhea or the diarrhoea that was the first danger sign) could be caused by or at least contributed to by anxiety.

I had a bad feeling the next day (on 3 June) about something not being quite right about the night before, call it instinct, and I don't say that with hindsight.

If only it was only anxiety .... I've been there before.

It's severe, depressive anxiety - I have the most awful, mobid thoughts. I don't even feel like I have the energy or enthusiasm to cry.

I don't know what the answer is, or if there is one.

Pipkin
22-08-13, 16:39
Gavin,

I know it feels like there's no way out but there are always things that can be done and you won't always feel as bad as you do now.

If you answer the questions I asked in my last post, I'll try my best to help as much as I can.

Take care

Pip

GBFast
22-08-13, 17:35
I worked in insurance, then travelled a bit, then taught English.

Were it not for all this, I would be quite content being 'at leisure' as I was this time last year - most days of relaxation, doing simple things and going here and there were a joy.

I guess this scare (and me feeling, for now, that I just think I am infected with HIV and a 'final' test will merely confirm it) has just overwhelmed me.

That I can pin the whole thing on one night just makes it even worse. :-(

Pipkin
22-08-13, 19:12
Hi there,

Honestly, I do understand what it's like to be in a state of terror about something as you are. You can also see from the health anxiety forum that there are lots of people very similar to you with anxiety about different health issues like cancer, DVT, MS etc. They all feel they have the exact symptoms of the disease they think they have with either the anxiety first followed by the symptoms or vice versa. I'm saying this because I can't reassure you that you aren't physically ill, I can just tell you that you're not alone.

You worked in insurance so you must be used to assessing risk. Logically, the chances of encountering someone with HIV are fairly low, the chances of catching it are low and the chances of 2 tests being wrong are incredibly low. You can assess the likelihood of having caught HIV with those odds. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't stake a pound on something with such tiny odds. But your mind is saying, there's still a chance and I have the symptoms. True. I've had a headache for 2 days and there's an equally tiny chance I've got a brain tumour. Do you think I have? I'm not trying to be clever, I'm just trying to get you to see it more objectively though, of course, anxiety makes that virtually impossible when the problem is our own and not someone else's.

With regards to your intuition about that night, tbh, I'm not the best person to comment on that as I'm very skeptical about that kind of thing. I believe the brain can subconsciously gather information and work things out which may seem like intuition. In your case, I think it more likely that you had a bad feeling because you felt uncomfortable with what happened and then you subsequently married that up with your physical symptoms. Again, I may be wrong but that is a plausible explanation.

You didn't say if you were getting treatment for your anxiety. If you're not, I would strongly recommend you talk to your GP about it. Whatever the outcome of future tests, you're certainly anxious and some kind of treatment would help.

I hope that helps a little.

Take care

Pip x

BobbyDog
22-08-13, 20:23
I agree with Pip, please contact your doctor, I am sure he will be able to help you, also you could contact Mind, and No Panic, they have a helpline and offer telephone group recovery and one to one mentoring.

GBFast
22-08-13, 20:26
Thanks, Pip. (Also to you, BobbyDog.)

You ARE being rational.

My attitude is a mixture of instinct and rational (the rational stuff has conflicts).

On the plus side, there have been two negative tests at good, but not conclusive, timescales, and doctors' reassurance about same.

However, HIV is about 10x more common in gay men than it is in straight guys and women (certainly in countries like ours).

The type of club this was would (probably) have had a fair % of HIV+ guys there, given the relative anonymity, etc.

Someone having an STD is more likely to have other STDs, including HIV, and the presence of an STD makes it easier to transmit other STDS, too, including HIV.

So, having caught gonorrhea, the HIV risk would have been very high (in terms of odds).

That's something that I just have to accept, and it only takes someone to be stupid (and unlucky) once.

This whole episode has also brought more latent anxiety and other issues to the surface, and I am in the 'care' of 'Acute Day Treatment' people, who I can call if I need to. Not that that's a solution, but I hope my mind is rational enough to do so if I feel especially bad. One of my own GPs has also been excellent (but been on holiday recently).

Yes, I appreciate that there are plenty of people in the same boat, not just with HIV, but with other serious illnesses. I had a scare a few years ago with MS, when my optician was a bit over-zealous (actually trying to look-out for me as a precaution) about a 'field of vision' test. It turned-out that my peripheral vision wasn't good at seeing many of the dots (which concerned her as a possible MS indicator) because my eyes are set quite far back and my nose gets in the way!!!

Given that I haven't actually been diagnosed, I'm also really shattered at my apparently dire coping mechanism, something I've already explained to health professionals.

The truth is, of course, we are all made different, and that includes coping differently in crises. It's just another way in which I am SO disappointed by myself. (Sorry if that all sounds a bit 'woe is me' - it's not like me.)

Gavin. x

Pipkin
22-08-13, 20:53
Gavin,

It sounds like you can think more dispassionately about it and I do understand why you're thinking as you are. A couple of further points:

1) You have someone to call in case of crisis but that's not treatment, it's reacting to the symptoms. You would really benefit from ongoing treatment to stop the anxiety and panic before it takes hold.
2) I'm no expert (in fact I know very little about HIV) but it would seem to me that if the infection was advanced enough to be causing you symptoms, there must be enough of the antibodies reacting to the virus in your system to show up in a test, let alone 2 tests. Try your best to put your faith in your doctor.

A word from someone who has suffered from anxiety for over 30 years: I have worried about every conceivable thing during my life from the sublime to the ridiculous. Looking back, I can't actually remember anything that was worth giving more than a little worry to. I can safely say, the only thing I should have focussed on during all this time was sorting out the anxiety itself. Had I known this all that time ago, I might have been able to get on with my life instead of letting anxiety take so much of it away from me. I hate to see anyone else going down the same path.

And by the way, you have nothing to be disappointed in yourself about. None of us is perfect - it's how we learn from our mistakes that counts.

Pip x

GBFast
22-08-13, 21:03
How do I give you a virtual hug, Pip?

Your points about the two modern tests detecting antibodies if they were genuine symptoms of genuine infection are good ones, too, and that's what the docs (and others) have been telling me.

I have a history of anxiety, in not too serious and in isolated episodes, so nothing like yours - you have my sympathy. Though, I have developed a few phobias over the years (largely from being sensitised to stuff).

'Chatting' with you is quite therapeutic! x

Pipkin
22-08-13, 21:24
Gavin,

I'm happy I've helped you a little. Don't forget that you're not on your own and there are lots of people feeling just like you do. You don't have to suffer anxiety alone - there are always people here to talk things through with whenever you want to.

There's an excellent online CBT programme called CBT4Panic which a lot of members have used. It's free and I'd recommend you give it a go. If nothing else, it will give you a taste of CBT which you could discuss further with your care team. Have a look here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131664

Take care and keep posting

Pip x

GBFast
22-08-13, 21:36
I'll take a look.

Unfortunately, anxiety and depression are closely linked, aren't they, and I know one feels as bad as the other at this point in time!

GBFast
24-08-13, 11:32
So, after a bad start to the day, with unrelenting insomnia, Friday (23) was better for a while, but I went to bed about midnight (after treating myself to one bottle of beer), dozed-off without the sleeping pill, and then woke-up on three occasions with bad night sweats, resulting in me dozing-off again in three different part of the bed to avoid damp sheets and pillows.

This is all so tough.

GBFast
15-09-13, 14:28
In case anyone else was wondering, the update to my situation is that I took another HIV test at 86 days, just after the 12 weeks that is still regarded as the conclusive window period.

The test was negative, and the nurse told me that that test is "a million % conclusive".

I was delighted, and believe the result.

Unfortunately, though, I had prepared myself for the worst for the first test, and have never got over that.

My mind tells me that I am that tiniest of tiny minorities who hasn't shown-up in tests, and that the virus is in me and already damaging my immune system, or other irrational ideas.

As I said before, this whole episode has also brought other anxiety and insecurity issues to the fore.

I am due to have counselling this Tuesday and then to see a psychiatrist on Thursday, we'll see what happens, but I feel snookered.