PDA

View Full Version : Hello ...

vicky72
19-08-13, 20:01
Hello ... thought I'd better introduce myself on here, am new to No Panic forum and it all seems a bit big and lots of it so any tips/pointers where it might be good to land/post would be appreciated :)

My name is Vicky and I have suffered from panic attacks on and off since my mid twenties. Prior to that I suffered from depression in my teens and to be quite honest have always been a bit odd/highly sensitive. I am very artistic/creative so of course I got that label slapped on me from an early age :)

Lately a big problem has come to light for me and I'm desperate to tackle it. I am fine driving locally - this has taken a while to get to this point though - but I keep trying and failing to drive further away than one anda half hours away from home. If I have to drive through deserted/country/ mountainous areas I get severe full on panic attacks. They are really bad, and totally debilitating. I have had to turn round and return home so many times and each time it affects my self esteem more and more :weep:

I am having to turn down offers of work and invitations to see friends that live further afield and the frustration and despair is so bad I could weep. I can't see a way out of this and fear that my world is forever going to be this small. I seem to have such huge, massive panic attacks not just during trips where I am travelling distances, but also for days beforehand in anticipation of a trip. At the moment I have actually given up and feel resigned to this being my life and I feel very down and depressed about it.

I have tried to get help via my GP but there is a 2 year waiting list for CBT. They offered me a computer programme which i accepted but then the person coordinating it left and I havn't heard anything for months now. I feel like all my attempts to get help are thwarted. I'm desperate to get help but have no idea how or where I can get it.

Sorry if this is a bit long but I'm not sure where to post.

It's good to find this forum, I'm just hoping I can find some help/ideas here.

Sparkle1984
19-08-13, 20:22
Welcome to the forums Vicky. I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and support here - I certainly have. :)

It's terrible that there is a 2 year waiting list for CBT where you live. There is a free CBT course recommended by No More Panic at http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696 It includes downloadable workbooks, audios and videos and you can work on it in your own time. :)

PanicPod
19-08-13, 20:27
Hello Vicky, I would think that your "problem" is very common. Driving into the unknown is difficult for a lot of drivers. I don't like to drive very far, to areas that I don't know etc and certainly wouldn't choose to drive on motorways. A lot of my female friends are the same and we would all prefer to let the train take the strain if travelling any great distances. Are you okay as a passenger on longer journeys. Have you got a sat nav and mobile phone. I also print off AA route plans which I find helpful.
I am sure you will get lots of sensible advice on here. Y x

vicky72
19-08-13, 20:50
Thanks for replying - the info about the free CBT course online is brilliant, thanks so much for that Sparkle1984 - I am going to check that out this evening.

PanicPod that's interesting what you say about am I ok as a passenger or can I take the train ... well I'm mostly ok as a passenger in a car, but can still have silent panics as a passenger, especially going through mountainous areas. But it's definately not as bad as if I'm on my own. It was bad a few years back, even as a passenger, but I'm getting a bit better on that providing it's a route that I know already.

I am not so good on trains - it's that thing ofhelp I'm stuck on here and I can't get off. I also experience major anxiety travelling any distance on my own with the children, other than short local distances. my big fear is what if I have a panic attack (I have, in the middle of nowhere, with them in the car) and I collapse and they are vulnerable and on their own. Yes I catastrophise hugely, and for all kinds of situations. That stops me doing so much. I'm trying to tackle this but I seem to hit a brick wall where I just can't get any further with it.

I'm going to check out the CBT programme though, I'm hoping this may help ...

PanicPod
19-08-13, 21:58
I think the CBT will help you. I have just started CBT and will also check out the NMP link too.
Your panic is certainly understandable when travelling with your children and as parents it is maternal instinct I think to worry about the what if's.
I had my first panic attack on a train; didn't know what it was at the time. Started talking to the lady next to me and was so relieved when I arrived at my stop and saw my friend waiting for me. I enjoy train journeys but am anxious if there are delays or the train stops for no reason.
Your desire to tackle this will see you succeed. Good luck.